Bonaire in 4 weeks and I have questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I think we may finally be ready or at least will be after UPS delivers the rest of our stuff.

Book BSDME should be on it's way.

Hubby ordered boots and fins yesterday. After reading all the reviews he went with the Deep See Manta Boots (5mm) and Oceanic Viper Open Heel Fins. I think he did good in his choices, I guess we will have to wait and see. I have not worn boots and open heel fins since the first year I was certified back in 1984.

I can't express enough gratitude for all your input. What a wealth of knowledge this board has!!

One more question: What is the beer of choice on Bonaire? I am strictly a mixed drink or wine person but my husband likes his Corona's. On Roatan it was "Port Royals" just curious as to what will be available on Bonaire and getting an idea of what the bar tab might be like.

personally i like the Polar Beer. they are a smaller can than what we have here. Also amstel bright is really good. Iam really trying to get to bonaire this year yet but just dont know if we can make it. I am jealous. Have a fun safe trip.

One more question: What is the beer of choice on Bonaire? I am strictly a mixed drink or wine person but my husband likes his Corona's. On Roatan it was "Port Royals" just curious as to what will be available on Bonaire and getting an idea of what the bar tab might be like.

Polar, Amstel Bright, Amstel, Heineken for beers. Polar tends to be the cheapest. Amstel Bright is similar to Corona.

I drink Heinenken here at home, as said it is available in Bon. But I really liked Polar Bears last year.

We're waiting on the book BSDME too!!

I received our BSDME book yesterday but have only had time to glance at it. I was a little disapointed about its size and there are no pictures. :depressed: I don't know if I will be able to decipher all them letters being I am an authentic ozark hillbilly. Picture pages make it so much easier.

Now I have to find time to sit down and compare the info from "BSDME" to our "Lonely Planet Diving & Snorkeling Bonaire" and include all the personal experiences of scubaboarder's input and devise a way to do it all.

I received our BSDME book yesterday but have only had time to glance at it. I was a little disapointed about its size and there are no pictures. :depressed: I don't know if I will be able to decipher all them letters being I am an authentic ozark hillbilly. Picture pages make it so much easier.

Now I have to find time to sit down and compare the info from "BSDME" to our "Lonely Planet Diving & Snorkeling Bonaire" and include all the personal experiences of scubaboarder's input and devise a way to do it all.

Which letters are you trying to decipher?? Maybe others here who have used BSDME can help. My guess is that if pictures were added it would be a much more expensive book. It has certainly helped us on our trips. I like the fact it is written by someone who lives on the island as opposed to the LP guide where the author made one trip there.

BSDME is not as fancy as LP but the information in there is invaluable. It may not be apparent now, but will be once you start diving. It possibly saved us from stranding our truck during high tide at Margate Bay.

BDSME keys it's references to the Bonaire Island Map which is distributed by the tourist board. Can't check now, but I think the map is available on line.

A couple little tips we learned on our trip to Bonaire:

-xerox your drivers license and passport and keep it in your glove compartment and leave the originals in your room safe.
-from your local outdoors shop, buy a collapsible water jug or two and a solar shower, both are cheap and you'll be thrilled to have extra water on hand for rinsing and warm water "shower" is wonderful between dives!
-the frozen 2 liter bottles of water are also key!
-don't forget the between dive snacks - oranges are my favorite.
-consider getting a large carabiner which you can attach to your BC and clip your fins to for entries if the surf is rough (also from your local outdoors shop).

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom