Bounce Dive to Recover Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Now as far as a 20' bounce goes... that really isn't such a big deal and several instructors have weighed in that they essentially do back to back bounce dives (saw tooth profile) while teaching.

As I'm sure you are aware, the instructors are not as heavily loaded as is the guy dropping the boltsnap. He had completed long dives to 100' and a repetitive dive to 70'.

There is a good chance the original poster was bubbling, an instructor with little loading won't be.

Charlie

Charlie99 once bubbled...

As I'm sure you are aware, the instructors are not as heavily loaded as is the guy dropping the boltsnap. He had completed long dives to 100' and a repetitive dive to 70'.

There is a good chance the original poster was bubbling, an instructor with little loading won't be.

Charlie

Oh, how I wish that were the case. I have often tought AOW and even Advanced Nitrox classes in the same day which often means deeper dives followed by OW checkout dives. I try not to do more than one deep dive in a day when I have a bunch of dives to do but that doesn't always work out either. Not the best but...

Also keep in mind we must do at least one ESA with each OW student.

Great job if you want to 1, starve or 2, get bent to death. LOL

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
[BGreat job if you want to 1, starve or 2, get bent to death. LOL [/B]

You guys are real daredevils :D doing ESA's after AOW deep dives.

I also figure that instructors do a lot of solo dives. When you are diving with just a couple of students on dive 3 or 4, and no AI or DM, then by my reckoning you are effectively solo. ssssshhhh Don't let anybody know :) .

They hurt my ears and sinuses and should be replaced by horizontal ESAs. BTW, NAUI does not allow ESAs on the third training dive of the day... not sure that they put this in for students or instructors. Unfortunately, many instructors who do multiple classes only follow this rule for students and not for themselves. I always do ESAs as the last exercise on the first dive of the day so I don't have to worry about too much on-gassing.

I have done up to 6 dives below 100 fsw on the same day. As the Pugster said... there are no undeserved hits... only un-explained or mis-understood ones. If you push the envelope enough, you are bound to tear it open once in a while.

As a new diver, I'm not even sure what a bolt snap is for, but after reading your dive profile, it doesn't make sense to go down again with only 600psi left. I looked at it this way most people want around 500 psi for unforseen events, if you're looking for the bolt snap and have a problem with around 250 psi what are you going to do to save yourself? Additionally, since its a $10.00 piece of gear get it next time or just chalk it up to "one of those things that happens"

However, I'm willing to listen to additional responses

thanks,

joe

Never "decided" to do a bounce dive for lost gear, but have had to do one to break free a set anchor. Still managed to keep it within the table NDL's for the depth. Would have cut the anchor line otherwise.:wink:

We dropped a Halcyon Pathfinder reel in 70' of water and decided not to go back for it...number of reasons, mainly bubbling/previous dive, poor viz, and temperature (very cold water).

I have also dropped boltsnaps (cold hands) and not gone back for them. When tempted, I always remember Robb Wolov, who went back in after a prescription mask in 90' of water with 750 psi in his tank and was later found dead.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

You guys are real daredevils :D doing ESA's after AOW deep dives.

I also figure that instructors do a lot of solo dives. When you are diving with just a couple of students on dive 3 or 4, and no AI or DM, then by my reckoning you are effectively solo. ssssshhhh Don't let anybody know :) .

Not the case. First of all I always have a DM for that number of students but even if I didn't I'm still not solo. OW dives are to gain experience they should have learned to dive in the pool. If I didn't think a diver could fill the responsibilities of a buddy they wouldn't be in OW yet. Certainly in a really severe situation they may not be as up to it as a more experienced diver but lending the type of assistance that is most commonly required shouldn't be a problem.

O-ring once bubbled...
We dropped a Halcyon Pathfinder reel in 70' of water and decided not to go back for it...number of reasons, mainly bubbling/previous dive, poor viz, and temperature (very cold water).

I have also dropped boltsnaps (cold hands) and not gone back for them. When tempted, I always remember Robb Wolov, who went back in after a prescription mask in 90' of water with 750 psi in his tank and was later found dead.

hehe...I'm going to start following you. You drop a lot of gear.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

hehe...I'm going to start following you. You drop a lot of gear.

So that's why one of my dive buddies always trails me with a net! I thought that Scout looked familiar!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom