Bounce Dive to Recover Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's my fault. I did the dive with about 1100 PSI in a set of 95's. About 80 cf of gas, perfect for a nice, not too deep recreational dive at dusk. My weighting should have been properly rigged for empty tanks, but I threw on a fleece vest which I normally don't wear (increased buoyancy) and I didn't grab a bullet to throw on my waist strap to compensate. Normally this would be no problem, I pick up a rock or two and tuck them under a strap.

Do you think I could find a rock? I was in the ocean on a rock wall, there should have been a bazillion rocks for the taking, but I could not find one. NOT ONE. Rick thought I was looking for critters. I hated having to come clean and tell him I was looking for a rock to hold on to since I was too buoyant.

We safely completed a nice dive. Going back for the bolt snap could have been done with very little risk IMHO, but it is still a risk. The light was fading as the sun set - though Rick has the nicest and brightest canister light I have ever seen - it was dark beneath the water, the bottom provided excellent cover for the bolt snap to hide in and we were low on air (I was at 400 psi ~ 30 cf). All in all, I think the right decision - not to go down for the bolt snap was made.

Rick, do I send the $10.00 to the same address? :)

Thanks again for the diving, it was a real pleasure!

edit to change from ware to wear, through to throw and add the smile. I had a brain fart.

Awww c'mon Dennis. Even a dumb guy like me couldn't blame you for my fumble-fingers! Yeah, the diving was great that week, and the 5 straight days of 70 degree weather didn't hurt either. :D Thanks for joining us on the trip, we had a great time!

Equipment can be replaced, Eardrums, brain cells, neural pathways, no. It's a 10$ lesson.

Back
Top Bottom