BP/W are banned! And other fun things I've learned on my first chartered dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel:
I've not read all the posts in this thread, but so far I think everyone has missed the value of 80 lbs of lift.

That much lift is so that when you want to surface, you can max inflate your BC/BPW at depth and you will totally clear the water upon surfacing. If your trajectory is correct, you will land feet first on the boat deck or shoot directly into the waiting med-evac helicopter.

Yes, but if you miscalculate it and have 85lbs of lift, you'll miss the helicopter door and propel yourself into the blades.

I think someone once did a post where they broke down the mathmatics of getting a diver to clear the water...they had to go like 80mph or something.

JeffG,

You missed a post somewhere above, as I used the BP/W as one example. I said that there are dives where a BP/W is necessary, as in cave diving. If someone showed up with a BC, I'm not taking him into a cave, or on a deep dive, anything tech, etc. But, I am not going to insult him for owning a BC in general, and certainly not embarrass him by doing so in front of other divers who have the correct equipment for the proposed dive profile. This happens a lot on dive charters. What I will do is try to match a dive to his skill level AND to the equipment that he has.

Catherine of Angel Fishes,

I realize my statment concerning bimbos might be taken as sexist but truely it was not intended as such. While in the common vernacular "bimbos" are generally thought to be female I assure you that they also come in male versions. In fact, I have thought to call the female versions bimbettes and the male versions simply bimbos (as from Rambo).

The OP may have been a troll or not but it was fun and besides, I get told all the time I cannot dive my double hose because it will kill me. I always ask, well you might think it would have done gone and killed me by now if it was going to. Besides, I am more afraid of my wife, I think she just took out a policy and went shopping, hmmmm. N

Nemrod:
Catherine of Angel Fishes,

I realize my statment concerning bimbos might be taken as sexist but truely it was not intended as such. While in the common vernacular "bimbos" are generally thought to be female I assure you that they also come in male versions. In fact, I have thought to call the female versions bimbettes and the male versions simply bimbos (as from Rambo).

A male bimbo is called a 'himbo' - though this term doesn't seem to be in really wide-usage.

A 'bimbette' is a young bimbo, ie <15 years old and female.

A 'Twinkie' is 'a young pretty gay boy that is very fun to look at, play with, filled with white creme but has no nutritional (intellectual) value whatsoever'

I know what you mean about the insurance policy though: I'm worth more dead than alive.

It's been pointed out that that was true even before I became insured.....

Then wouldn't a female version be a shebo? So, then is bimbo generic to both sexes? Obviously I have been suffering from mental confusion all this time.

himbo, an "attractive but vacuous man "

Vacuous, I like that word yet use it so rarely and it fits the state of scuba training so perfectly that some himbo might mistake a BP/wing for being homemade. I have homemade equipment and while not always homemade by myself it is generally better than what the attractive but vacuous companies provide. Homemade, I would take that as a compliment.

Uh, Spog, I am certain that I should not follow up on your post--uh, let me read that again, yep, quite certain. N

jbichsel:
I've not read all the posts in this thread, but so far I think everyone has missed the value of 80 lbs of lift....

I did previously mention that I only wanted to dive the wreck, not actually raise it to the surface and salvage it...

but I like your idea, must try it...

Z...

UGA:
SOMEONE here must have the graphic-editing ability to create a video of what this might look like.

A third-person view would be really neat.

A first-person view from the rocket-diver him/herself would be Oscar-worthy.

we'll ask Myth Busters :D

Back
Top Bottom