BP/W: I officially don't get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's funny is the idea that people who are dissatisfied with their backplates and wings aren't saying anything about it, since the person who STARTED this thread did so to say he didn't see what all the fuss was about!

The only type of BC I sell is BP&W's and our return rate is effectively zero.

Tobin

Well, one famous case of return. You were nice enough to loan someone a BP/W set up to evaluate on a trip to Cozumel, he kept it for a completely inappropriate amount of time (several weeks after the trip, if I remember) until you were somewhat forced into asking for it back publicly.

That was an entertaining thread!

Last edited:
After thirty years of diving, I finally gave the bp/w a try. I'll never go back.

I noticed the difference immediately, and was quite surprised honestly. I really didn't think a subtle change could make such a difference. I am still tweaking my strap adjustments and weight/trim, but all in all I am very happy with the change.

Well, one famous case of return. You were nice enough to loan someone a BP/W set up to evaluate on a trip to Cozumel, he kept it for a completely inappropriate amount of time (several weeks after the trip, if I remember) until you were somewhat forced into asking for it back publicly.

That was an entertaining thread!

Even though your aim was to denigrate, I'm glad you brought that up. That was 3 to 3.5 years ago and it's true. I did 18 dives over 8 days with the DSS singles rig that Tobin was kind enough to loan me.

I had been a happy Zeagle Stiletto user. Yet here on SB I'd been reading all the bp/w hype and wondering if there really was a better solution. After all the hype I was somewhat surprised to discover it isn't a better solution. As I typically point out, it's not a better solution for the diving I do. In fact, I found it lacking in some aspects. Since then I've been inclined to try and add some balance when Spanky and the gang come out to start the hype.

Thank you for restoring Margaret Thatcher to her full dignity!

My position is much as you say - to try to restore balance. I use backplates and wings, along with other form of buoyancy. I just don't like one-sided semi-manic hype that pretends there is no other way! There are many novices who read these pages and I want them to get a balanced view.

So... I'm supposed to believe that people I've personally helped pick out a BP&W, and who I often help with followup questions after they receive their gear routinely slink out to the dumpster in the dark of night to avoid to having me know they can't stand their new gear?

Today's consumer is vocal. Reports of dissatisfaction with all sorts of gear is a common occurrence on SB, no reason to expect a new BP&W buyer to be any different. Unhappy consumers are MORE vocal than satisfied ones.

The tortured lengths some go to try and explain away the growing popularity of BP&W's is simply amazing.

Apparently there is a conspiracy to sell BP&W's using hyperbolic propaganda, and the poor hoodwinked buyers are so cowed by the arbiters of fashion, aka the BP&W fanatics, that they are all digging holes in their back yards to secretly bury their BP&W so they won't have to face the wrath of the true believers.

If I didn't read it here I don't think I could make this stuff up.

Tobin

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Even though your aim was to denigrate, I'm glad you brought that up.

You're wrong, my aim was not to denigrate you. In fact, I did not mention you by name. I was simply bringing a little humor to this thread. If you feel denigrated, I apologize.

You're wrong, my aim was not to denigrate you. In fact, I did not mention you by name. I was simply bringing a little humor to this thread. If you feel denigrated, I apologize.

Accepted.

What's funny is the idea that people who are dissatisfied with their backplates and wings aren't saying anything about it, since the person who STARTED this thread did so to say he didn't see what all the fuss was about!

What's also funny is that people get all worked up about a BP/W which is after all just another BC but no one gets all worked up regarding whether someone uses a jacket or backmounted style BC or intergrated weights or not. The BP/W seems to tap into attitudes and opinions that really have nothing to do the the BC.

You could not say better. Every tool is for it's job. And besides it all depends upon what each person likes, and I think it's great. Being grown in a country where people did not have choices I now understand that variety is a good thing. Some like Jacket style. Some back inflate some BP/W.

Back
Top Bottom