BP/W Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
Is that a real word?

MS word has it listed as a word, so i guess it must be:wink:

HBDiveGirl:
Mr. Mo2vation shot that one at Cat Rock, backside of Anacapa Island, December, 55fsw, clear water and wicked current up above. Great dive, rockin' photo! Wonderful BP/W!

Is that an X-Vision mask? Looks like it to me. We're twins! :wink:

I agree...the DSS is a thing of beauty.

Catherine, I don't see why you should fix it if you don't mind orally inflating. Like you say, you don't need to adjust it much. I guess there might be a safety argument for fixing it, but on the other hand, you don't run the risk of a stuck inflator, which seems one of the worse equipment failures one could potentially have.

Umm...sorry to help derailing this thread :wink:

The OP probably knows this one, but I made some bungee loops on the bottom of my plate where my SMB lives. Perfecto.

StagRaven:
Bike inner tube strips EVERYWHERE!!!

I read that tip somewhere before. I went to the store and bought the largest diameter bike innertube I could find. Cut it into 2" lengths and threaded my harness through it. It was just too small a diameter to be useful. What size tube are you getting or how are you using the 1.75 - 2.25 tubes?

"They work great and hold the wing well unless you lift the rig by the wing. Then the weight of the plate can cause it to pull free of the wing. It pretty much stays attached because of the tank straps, but you should handle it with the shoulder straps to avoid that."

This is exactly the reason why I use bolts. In Bonaire, they made us sit on the back of the boat after each dive so that the DM could wrench the tank off the rig and I got the idea of replacing the thingamibobs with bolts. Works like a charm. Rig stays whole and the DM can no longer separate the wing from the plate. When I change plates, it takes two minutes to undo and redo the bolts. Incidentally I will never go back to a jacket style BC and I bow to Tobin's genius in the design of this rig.

And..."thingamibob" is what my mother calls everything that she cannot accurately describe.

*Floater*:
Is that a real word?

This is getting very technical.

OK: For the layman: DSS uses thingamibobs ; OMS uses doodads but Halcyon uses watchamacallits. Oceanic has doohickeys and Zeagle has dealiebobs but then they are not DIR anyway.

tridacna:
This is getting very technical.

OK: For the layman: DSS uses thingamibobs ; OMS uses doodads but Halcyon uses watchamacallits. Oceanic has doohickeys and Zeagle has dealiebobs but then they are not DIR anyway.
PRICELESS KNOWLEDGE!!! ROTFLOL Stuff, to be sure!
Thank you, Tridacna, for snapping the world into focus.... love it! I'll be using these with abandon and giving you full credit when asked. "Death to the dealiebobs!" hahahahahaha.....

My vote is for a washer, lock washer, and wing nut. It will cost you all of $2 and will provide you with the tools to install an STA if you ever want one.

-V

StSomewhere:
I have a pair of the DSS 5 lb weight plates for my DSS backplate, it almost perfectly offsets the buoyancy differences between a steel HP100 and an AL80. I take the plates off for coldwater HP100 dives and put the plates back on for coldwater AL80 dives.

StSomewhere...did you get my PM yet?

Thanks.

Vayu:
My vote is for a washer, lock washer, and wing nut. It will cost you all of $2 and will provide you with the tools to install an STA if you ever want one.

-V

Two problems are caused by bolting your wing to your plate.

1. The bolt heads become "high points" that can lead to tank rock. In other words the heads of the fasteners are the only points where the tank contact the backplate. These bolt heads can also lead to scratches on the tank.

2. Bolting the wing to the plate makes post dive dissassembly, clean up and packing more difficult. Most wings that suffer damage are damaged out of the water, ususally when the wing is pinched against the plate and deck etc. Removing the wing for transport greatly reduces the chance of damaging the wing.

Once the camstraps are tightened the bolts do nothing....

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom