breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mydivelog has it right. Just relax, get, your bouancy undercontrol with proper weighting, and exercise. Avoid fast food and eat sensible well balanced meals. Drop a few pounds if you are overweight.

Being new and an airhog myself, I share your frustrations. Everyone keeps saying relax. I AM relaxed! I love it down there. I've even tried counting as I breath in and out, breathing in a little shallow (I know I am a deep breather) and exhaling onger/slower... but no change. If anything, the more I try the worse it is, so now I just figure by the time I log a hundred dives I'll be better.

I have a funny story as well. I was diving in Cairns and met this woman from the UK who was certified some time prior but had since not been out diving. She was a pretty heavy smoker... smoked before diving after diving... So do you think she was an air hog? Not a chance! She stayed down 60/65 minutes each dive!!!! ..longer than all but the DM with her. We all stood on the boat looking over saying "where is that smoker? It just isn't fair!" I guess her lungs were used to be deprived of air. LOL

you know, when i was a smoker, i could beat ANYONE, even most women, with
my air consumption.

once i quit smoking, i became an air hog for about four months, and then it
got better, but not as good as my pre-quitting levels.

i think when you smoke, you get used to breathing shallow, using less air, and also
your lung capacity is smaller, so you can't get as much air in your lungs.
i think. anyway, the result is that i was awesome and now i suck!!!

Maybe you should try NOT thinking about your breathing. Might sound odd, but sometimes, the more you concentrate on it, the worse it gets!
Try just enjoying your dive. Don't forget to check your SPG regularly, but don't worry about whether you're breathing right, or if you're using your air too quickly, whatever...
It'll let your breathing settle into its own natural rythm, which can help.
And of course, generally, the more you dive, the better your air consumption gets anyway. :)

I do breathing exercises before a dive to expand my lungs. I have played a musical instrument for years. I think it has helped me with my air consumption. It may not help you, but I'll give it to you just in case.

Start by breathing in slowly counting to 5 or 6. Try beathing as if you have a straw in your mouth. Breath out as if you have a straw in your mouth, but force the air out a little. Count to 6 or 7. Repeat the process, but increase your count 1 or 2 numbers each time. Each time you do it, it will expand your lungs. More air in your lungs, means more oxygen transfer, which will decrease to urge to take a breath.

Just my opinion though. Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom