British Expert Bashes Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Doing well, thanks for asking! In fact I was in the water at a local quarry yesterday, although this time of year it's only good for low vis training due to algae blooms. :shakehead Oh well, I suppose you need some of that every now that then...:wink:
Glad to hear that youa re doing well and back into diving. Low viz diving is what makes it good--bring on the algae!!! :bounce:

Actually in this area it will be getting cold enough to kill off the algae pretty soon and the viz should clear up a bit.

:confused: What did this have to do with the Brits and PADI:D

Said in the voice of THIS GUY:

Back in the good 'ol days, when I learnt to dive, we had to dive like real men, not like you candy-ask kids with your color-coded snorkels...

:wink:

Seriously, the problem is that everyone is right.

People ignore personal responsibility and blame the agencies, which they shouldn't.

Most of today's OW training sucks.

Both are true.

And it's also true that the quality of the training depends on the instructor - but even more on the student. You'd have hell to pay getting a card of any sort from NWGratefulDiver without earning it.

Of course, all the instructors on ScubaBoard are excellent. :D

joeabroad:
Splitting hairs, wouldn't you say? And if this is PADI's intent it is rather disingenuous, not to say misleading. "Advanced" means "advanced," not "designed to advance."

Not splitting hairs at all. If you take the Open Water course and then go for more training what's wrong with calling it Advanced Open Water?

The focus here is on the word Advanced just like people focus on the acronym DIR. Neither word makes a hill-of-beans in all reality.

Hank49:
Aahhh...I've never heard anyone British (especially my British friends) say anything good about anything American. From the "assistance" America supplied in WW2 to the NFL to hamburgers....none of it's good.
Well, in my version of Hell, the Brits are the cooks ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Kraken:
The greatest number of people that die due to diving accidents are PADI certified divers and that's because PADI is the largest certifying agency. Do the numbers. Let us not start bashing an agency without ALL of the statistics in place.

Stupidity of the diver is not proprietary to any particular agency.

The stupidity of the diver is the sole ownership of the diver.

the K

Thanks Kraken...Hopefully I will have my instructors cert by March. I have worked my butt off to get to this point...Why...Because my PADI Instructor wouldn't let me get my DM in less than one year of preparation. She has a 5 star PADI Operation and is a master instructor. She is a very strong advocate of teaching the why's and not just the what's and how to's. She has worked my butt off in the classroom, the pool sessions and the open water sessions. And for all the back and brain breaking work she has put me through I say THANK YOU DEBBY!!! She has the same expectations for OW, AOW...students. Unfortunately not all instructors are like her. I have all of my certs through PADI and have been satisfied with every one of them. Also have a couple from TDI and I was satisfied with them. Once again, I had a great instructor who didn't cut corners. There are instructors who don't need to be teaching and divers who don't need to be diving...who cut corners and some who die from it. It's those people who give the agency the bad name...

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, in my version of Hell, the Brits are the cooks ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
OK......that's a load of negative Brownie points.....

At least we gave the world Roast Beef & Yorkshire pudding..... What did you guys manage? Hamburgers and a bit of fried chicken!?!? :mooner:

Arrr, I'm not a big fan o' short OW courses either. Shiver me timbers!
:D

PADI PADI PADI, I think is the major problem. they are the ones who push these IDC's go from 0 to hero in 6 weeks or what ever and then you get this people training others. what kind of crap is that?? how can you teach others if you have been diving for less than 6 months.

To anyone wanting to get into diving, dont do PADI and dont rush things. Diving is a technical skill and not everyone can do it safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom