BTS - Beneath the Sea 2023 - March 24th - 26th - Meadowlands, NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there are actual vendors selling stuff? I was guessing it was big brands demoing wares.

A few vendors sell stuff that you must have. Bring cash. You’ll see…

I've never been to any kind of show (motorcycle or auto at the javitz center) that has ever been THAT much fun but it's decent and you get to touch stuff.

We traveled up to the PhotoPlus Expo for many years. I had interesting 1-on-1 conversations with incredible (world-renowned) artists and got to lay my hands on hard to find niche equipment. Didn't hurt that there was usually a very good deal on something to bring back.

So there are actual vendors selling stuff? I was guessing it was big brands demoing wares.
Some of the "big" vendors will often sell items on Sunday. They would rather do that than ship them back to wherever. You might also be able to purchase something on Saturday, but you'd have to come back on Sunday to pick it up because they still need it for display.
That's how I got my OTS Spectrum for way under dealer cost. They made a deal with the guy I was working another booth with for us.
They didn't feel like shipping the display models back.

Some of the "big" vendors will often sell items on Sunday. They would rather do that than ship them back to wherever. You might also be able to purchase something on Saturday, but you'd have to come back on Sunday to pick it up because they still need it for display.

I've been debating which day to go, you have me thinking Sunday is the day now. Are you talking about things like dive computers?

Sunday is the least attended day. Most bargain stuff sold at booths will be gone by then. My recommendation is to go on Saturday. Piranha and a few other vendors sell Scuba-related doodads like bolt-snaps at their booth. You will find stuff that you never knew you really needed. If you get there on Sunday, most of that stuff will be picked clean.

Oh - big vendors not attending include Mares, Cressi and Scubapro. Looks like they're not doing tradeshows.

I've been debating which day to go, you have me thinking Sunday is the day now. Are you talking about things like dive computers?
I never saw computers sold at a discount. But then, I didn't really look because I owned 3 Shearwaters.
Saturday might be better, but having worked a couple of booths there It was little stuff that might get sold on Saturday that you could take with you.
High dollar items that I was aware of being sold either went on Sunday or if as I said before, could be picked up on Sunday.
In the several years I was there it also depended on what else was going on and the weather. Nice sunny weekend, traffic was down. Cold and rainy? Sundays would be pretty good from a vendor standpoint. We would get more serious people on Sunday. Saturday were the "tourists" and, to an extent, the people who cared more about the good seminars more than anything.
I tried to get a feel for the entire show for several reasons and I'd see and talk to a fair number who came just for the talks and really couldn't care less about the show floor.

Beneath the Sea has unfortunately been going downhill every year. Many manufacturers are not showing up and the line up for speakers this year is about half as many as previous years.

However I still feel an obligation to attend at least one day as if we do not support the show it will be gone like many others.

In addtion to Piranha, New England Dive will be there as usual and they try to bring a good supply of items to buy and I think they can even set you up with a special order if they run out of something. They are one of the largest dive shops in New England with a good mail order business as well.

If you have a favorite brand that is not attending send them some feedback so they know you want them there.

New England Divers will be there as usual and they try to bring a good supply of items to buy and I think they can even set you up with a special order if they run out of something. They are one of the largest dive shops in New England with a good mail order business as well.

Is this the original "New England Divers"??? This can't be, they went out of business MANY years ago AFAIK. Perhaps this is a new company with the old name?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom