Bungees????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...

FYI, but, what I wrote before is directly quoted from JJ's book considered by GUE the DIR-F "textbook." The only reference to Bondage Wings is listed under TRIM and states:

<snip>
~<//><

The DIR args against BWOD

(Some are in JJ's book, Some you find in the DIR 3 vid, (and in 1 and 2???? (guessing havn't seen them))

1: Increase Drag - due to none uniform surface
- I knew of that one, but I believe it is pretty small issue when compared to all the others, so I didn't mention it.

2: The Wings will deflate if there is a hole. The force of the bungies "push air out". This speed of this action is directly related to how tight the bungies are.

3: Cannot use the Inflator/Deflator as a third reg without losing bouyancy control.

What The BWOD "Do" for you

1: No Air Pooling.
Now this is a bit of a magic bullet. Air will still pool with bungied wings, but it will be less than non-bungied wings. But the more you tighten them (the bungies) and that brings you back to 2 above)

Jeff

JeffG once bubbled...

The DIR args against BWOD
(Some are in JJ's book, Some you find in the DIR 3 vid, (and in 1 and 2???? (guessing havn't seen them))Jeff

Point taken, I withdraw my last post...

~<//><

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...

Point taken, I withdraw my last post...

~<//><

Shoots.....Scores......

Just kidding:wink:

"Certain BC designs can actually complicate the problem of proper trim. For example, BC's with restrictive bungies appear to promote gas trapping and increased drag by generating turbulent flow around the diver. Trapped gas pockets can imbalance the diver with unequal pockets of lift."

I disagree...I've dove 'non-banded' wings and had trouble with gas trapping, personally, an had to resort to all kinds of acrobatics (roll onto my side, butt up, etc) to get all the air out when dumping.

IMO, thats not a 'solution' to a problem that doesn't exist - it existed for me and was a real problem. And my wings were o the highest quality and brand (no names).

I own both a Halcyon 36# Pioneer wing and a 45#OMS bungeed wing. Both wings dive the same (for me). I've never had a problem with air trapping in the OMS, though I suppose that may be a problem depending on how tightly you have the bungees adjusted.
Matt

Oh it wasn't the OMS that trapped air - the Halcyon did!

IT would be real funny to see what would happen if JJ or GI started preaching in favor or OMS bungeed wings. I bet there would be alot of Halcyon wings on ebay going pretty cheap........

JeffG once bubbled...

Has the Wing failed on you? (ie had a leak)

The DIR argument against bondage wings deals with their behavior when they fail. If it has never failed on you, you wouldn't "see" the issues.

I don't care what brand of gear you use nothing is bullet proof. as far as the bungeed wing goes, DIR can't sell there gear on it's own merits so they have to create hypothetical situations (problems) to use against their competition. And I know DIR doesn't sell gear, they just endorse halycon.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
..... And I know DIR doesn't sell gear, they just endorse halycon.

Wrong. They don't "endorse" any manufacturer.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Wrong. They don't "endorse" any manufacturer.

It sure seems like they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom