Buoyancy Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering that he took fundies after 60 dives and his profile says he now has between 200-499 dives, I'm guessing that he took it quite awhile ago.

What you get with a GUE instructor is a pretty strong implicit guarantee of quality. But you pay for that.

There are plenty of other instructors out there who can give excellent guidance and training on these issues. But unless you know enough about the diving community to locate them, then it can sometimes be hard to find the right guide for you.

I tend to fall into the school of thought that believes that there are tens of thousands of non-DIR divers who have excellent bouyancy and trim skills. Not knocking the DIR community, but that is not the only way to refine those skills (short of technical training). Maybe it would have been a shorter journey for me if I had taken Fundies at an earlier stage. But I certainly enjoyed taking the scenic route.

Rather than blow a lot of buck$ on a certification I'd hire a 'competent' DM to go diving with me solo and give some hands-on explanations about what buoyancy control is all about.

What is it all about?

I tend to fall into the school of thought that believes that there are tens of thousands of non-DIR divers who have excellent bouyancy and trim skills. Not knocking the DIR community, but that is not the only way to refine those skills (short of technical training). Maybe it would have been a shorter journey for me if I had taken Fundies at an earlier stage. But I certainly enjoyed taking the scenic route.

Buoyancy and trim are a hallmark of a DIR diver and reinforced during GUEF. However, DIR is mostly about team diving and thinking/problem solving.

I took fundies at 400 dives and wished I would have taken it a lot sooner as I had some pretty bad habits to break which held me back from improving. I was already trimix trained when I took fundies and quickly realized I really didn't have the proper skills to dive to the depths I was certified, safely.

I won't say the class itself is pretty cheap. Afterall, it is still more than 2x+ the PADI OW class. However, the return per cost basis is incredibley high. It is really the best bang for the buck class. And don't forget, you get a nitrox certification with fundie if you pass. Nitrox cert itself is $125 with PADI.

You should not factor in the cost of lodging, gas, food and necessary equipment purchase. You can 1) find a local GUE instructor, stay in hostle for the ocean day if necessary. That is what I did. 2) you need gas filled if you dive whether or not you are taking GUE or not. EAN32 cost about $4 more per fill, and you only need EAN32 for ocean dives. So 4-5 dives, $20 more. 3) food, really, you only eat when you take fundie? 4) equipment. yeah, I can buy this one. GUE guys are ver particular about what they want. You probably need to spend some money. But you own the stuff. YOu can resell them later. In my fundie, instructors even carry extra equipments in case students don't have some items.

Again, if your goal is to improve personal skill in water (bouyancy, trim ..) situation awareness, GUE fundie is one of the best if not the best class you can take.

Already Nitrox certified. As for the other parts of the class, you have to consider factor in the extra costs since if you only figure/budget for the class alone and not gas (at about $3.50.gal it adds up), then the food, lodging it can easily add up to more than the class itself.

I am not arguing that the GUE training isn't quality, from what I have seen it is.

My thoughts perhaps would be the GUE Primer. Not as expensive as Fundies, work on a lot of the things new divers can really utilize and costs less (Its $300). Again, don't have to worry about getting a C-Card or such.

As for the other parts of the class, you have to consider factor in the extra costs since if you only figure/budget for the class alone and not gas (at about $3.50.gal it adds up), then the food, lodging it can easily add up to more than the class itself.

I am not trying to be mean, but what is it with you and food?! Previous posts have addressed this. I took my course away from where I live, which meant fuel, a hotel, and meals. We get it. Still expensive. (For me) still worth it.

Buoyancy! is a technique that needs to be practiced on it's when diving. Devote dives for buoyancy only. 10 at least. Play around have fun a practice.

I'd recommend for further experience to join GUE. Assess yourself after 10-20 dives. Also get more info on the course and assess with videos of past courses.

Judge based on your assessment and videos.

Have fun and enjoy!!!

Buoyancy! is a technique that needs to be practiced on it's when diving. Devote dives for buoyancy only. 10 at least. Play around have fun a practice.

I'd recommend for further experience to join GUE. Assess yourself after 10-20 dives. Also get more info on the course and assess with videos of past courses.

Judge based on your assessment and videos.

Have fun and enjoy!!!

Scubaboard! is a place where divers meet. Devote time to post. Two hours at least. Post for your own ego or to advertise dive trips with ME scubadiveilat!!!!

I'd recommend lots. Not that I know what I am talking about. I am scubadiveilat with 2,500 - 4,999 dives and I still tell people to piss on their own leg if stung by a jellyfish because, while it doesn't work, it makes me sound sort of like Yoda.

Read all of my posts and judge based on your assessment!

I am not trying to be mean, but what is it with you and food?! Previous posts have addressed this. I took my course away from where I live, which meant fuel, a hotel, and meals. We get it. Still expensive. (For me) still worth it.

I worked in the food biz, and for me, I am trying to eat a lot healthier, which means if I eat out its gonna be a lot more than 'normal'. I may have something from McD's once every few months. Also, see how well you do in the class if your hungry or ate something greasy. For me, blowing the hard work I did to take off 40lbs of weight off my body is not worth the cost of a fundies class. Hell, it could be free if I ate crap food all day I would still pass.

Trying to ignore a cost doesn't make it go away. I also mentioned gas and lodging. Are those overrated as well?

Lets go and break down the cost of me taking the local Fundies class:

Lodging for 5 days Approx $300
Food for 5 days (25meals) $250 (assuming $10 avg)
Gas $50
Dog Kenneling+Grooming $270
Total: $870

People just look at the class cost and sometimes overlook the other associated cost of taking a class. I can't ignore the dogs and the $270 it would cost (and the kennels around here pretty much give the dog a bath prior to them leaving, if you don't like it your welcome to try and find a place that doesn't, but have yet to find any).

Now this doesn't include rental fee's of stuff for the week (if you need it).

Last edited:
Okay -- here's an offer! Anybody who wants to come to Seattle to take a GUE class is welcome to stay with us, and if I can clear it with my husband, to use one of our vehicles (although you may have to settle for an F-250, with the associated mileage). They are welcome to use of the kitchen, or share meals with us at minimal cost. Oh, and we have singles and doubles rigs and tanks to borrow, too. Now, all you have to do is find cheap airfare to Seattle!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom