Buoyancy Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look out Lynne, you'll be the next Holiday Inn Express!

Yes, you can take the GUE class, or just dive alot. Practice, practice and more practice will also get you there. Dive with a mentor who can help you adjust weights and help with trim. Also remember, its not just about dropping unnecessary weights but repositioning them to get the best trim. I don't dive with a BC now, but when I did, I had pockets at the top of my cam band, so I put weights there. BAD for me.

Have someone video your dive and go over it. It's amazing at what you'll see when you see yourself on video. It can be cringe-worthy experience, but a great learning tool.

Lisa

Rather than blow a lot of buck$ on a certification I'd hire a 'competent' DM to go diving with me solo and give some hands-on explanations about what buoyancy control is all about.

Hire a professional to give you tuition.... rather than hire a professional to give you tuition... hmmm.... :wink:

Getting certificates, badges and plastic cards is appealing to some people - but as you point out, it is possible to get training, without actually getting a certification.

That said, it can be hard to find a competent pro who is willing to teach outside of a structured course system. This is for two reasons; firstly, because of various liability issues, and secondly, because a course system ensures fair income for the professional involved.

It is possible to root around and find a pro who will offer their services for cheap... but if you pay peanuts, then you may well get a monkey.

Dive pros who are truly good at their jobs, tend to understand their worth and aren't prepared to compromise on what they feel their value is.

When I was a DM, even with hundreds of dives experience, I wasn't anywhere near as knowledgeable as I am now. I could have helped people with buoyancy, but ... really.... I didn't have the insights and clarity that I do now. I don't think many DMs would, no matter how motivated and professional they were.

Okay -- here's an offer! Anybody who wants to come to Seattle to take a GUE class is welcome to stay with us, and if I can clear it with my husband, to use one of our vehicles (although you may have to settle for an F-250, with the associated mileage). They are welcome to use of the kitchen, or share meals with us at minimal cost. Oh, and we have singles and doubles rigs and tanks to borrow, too. Now, all you have to do is find cheap airfare to Seattle!

Don't tempt me -- sure as hell beats sleeping on the couch at my in-laws every time I visit Seattle...

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom