Burning out on SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainly they are awkward to get to rather than anything else - they are very varied, some like Loch Ness are peaty and the water is like tea, others less so, there are some nice drop offs
We have plenty of prehistoric villages and the like locally, lots of brochs and cairns adn chambers - a complete village being currently opened up is Scatness in the South of our island - http://www.shetland-heritage.co.uk/amenitytrust/scatness/scatness2001.html shows some of it - lot less hassle than seeing it underwater

Thanks for the web site. The Shetland islands look like a pretty place to visit and an interesting place to live. I live in Tampa, Florida.

flw once bubbled...
We have plenty of prehistoric villages and the like locally, lots of brochs and cairns and chambers - a complete village being currently opened up is Scatness in the South of our island -

What are the attitudes among divers and what are the laws in Britain concerning "cultural heritage sites"? Do divers go artifact collecting in these places? Will they be arrested if the police find out what they are doing?

In 18 years and around 1500 dives I have moved from basic OW diving to a varierty of slightly differnt types of underwater activities. Spearfishing was a major one as was underwater photography which has several sub areas that can keep you busy for years.

I also started doing deeper, more challenging and more technical dives as a means to enjoy diving in the same general area once I burned out on the usual sites. This has it's own set of benefits as learning to use new equipment is one way to put new life in the same old dive site. Take an old site and add a dry suit and you are good to go for several more dives while you learn to master the new suit.

I also got bored and on a whim started diving the original equipment I started diving with in 1985. this then led to gong one step farther back and I started doing the occassional dive with a double hose reg and horse collar BC.

I did about about 130 dives this year and was getting a bit burnt out in October. But the diving here is seasonal - ice diving gets old in a hurry given the logistics and prep time required for what amounts to a very short dive (especially when the moron who just dove before you kicked up the bottom and destroyed the normally pristine visibility. Consequently, I will probably only do 6-12 local dives between now and March.

So winter gives me some time off and winter projects can help to keep me interested in diving. I bought a larger (24 ft) boat a couple years ago to give me more room for more divers and spent the winter restoring and repowering what was a neglected but otherwise very sound boat. A new boat makes the same old places interesting again as well.

flw once bubbled...

You obviously just need to move North to Scotland then :)
-always somewhere here if you're determined - though today with a F8 wind and horizontal rain the pub seems a much more sensible idea!

Or the south coast, I dive at least once a week :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom