Question Buy now, use later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orestis82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, the last piece of gear I'm missing is a regulator (and obviously cylinders). I'm based in Athens, Greece, where waters are not that cold.

I am doing Fundies later this week where I'll use rented doubles + regulator set. But, apart from that specific dive shop which is very tech-oriented, most of the other operations are strictly recreational, meaning renting doubles is going to be tricky, especially if also going out on boats etc.

So I'm thinking that for the next couple of years I'll be diving mostly singles. But, I'd like a long-hose configuration, since I do want to keep the Fundies training alive, and to be able to also dive doubles at some point.

So the choices I see are:

1. Buy a DIR-style regulator set for singles (One first stage, two same first stages) and then buy another first stage if/when needed?
2. Buy a DIR-style regulator set for doubles, and reconfigure the hoses as needed?
3. Buy a Recreational style regulator set (first, second, octopus) to use on recreational, and then rent doubles + reg set as needed?
4. Keep renting as needed until I have more experience

My questions are:

* Do I risk having different first stages if I buy them separately?
* Do I risk keeping a first stage around unused, or reconfiguring the hoses often?
* What's the most efficient use of my money? I don't want to break the bank, as I don't plan to do super cold-water diving any time soon anyway.

You'll be using two different wings for single tanks and double tanks if knowing you'll need different wings helps you decide.

I know about different wings, that’s another consideration entirely right? That’s another thing I can rent when diving doubles.

Perhaps down the line I will have a full duplicated setup but I don’t want to spend too much upfront if I can avoid it.

* What's the most efficient use of my money?

Dive gear for diving

Church of fundies for...

Yes I see great conflict

and a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle

I Did (2) from Nov to May for around $2000 worth of gear or more including the regs, and finally doing my very first diving of the year next month. Prior to that I nit-picked on this forum till 4am everyday (basically overcoming my anxiety about potentially wrong and expensive purchases ) saw a lot of videos before choosing whatever was available at the most reasonable price. Since you are just one week away from your fundies it makes sense to seek advice from your instructor about the gear. GUE instructors normally recommend students not to buy new gear until the course is over and you learn a few things about gear configuration the GUE way.

And yeah I got 2 first stages and 3 2nds but it was because I only found the 2nd stage I really wanted at a fair price after I already purchased a packaged 1+2 set (more expensive if sold separately or not bundled together by the gear manufacturer) and I was exhausted by the more than 6 months of (window) shopping around online and didn’t want to still keep scouting for gear forever. The online shopping had been taking too much bandwidth from my daily life with very few choice in my country because the one year lockdown meant no fresh imports had happened in a long time since 2020 - it was quiet exhausting and frustrating. But you should have plenty of choices in EU/US and APAC countries compared to what I went through.

PS - I got a long hose setup too but with different 2nd stages because some of the experienced folks on this forum said it helps to keep you aware which reg you are breathing from (and I also wanted to try different gear hoping to find that lucky purchase of great stuff).

Heh, you describe my anxiety perfectly :)

I will definitely wait until after the training to buy more stuff, and I will ask locally too about brands/service/etc.

But I just want to gather as much info as possible so as to make an educated decision.

Choice number 1, easy :wink:. Buy two Scubapro G260 with one Mark 19 Evo (I would prefer the 17 Evo for singles) and set it up in the "streamlined" configuration (40 inches primary with right angle swivel, 22/24 inches secondary, 26 inches or maybe a 30 if you cannot see at a distance, SPG HP hose).

I hate rental gear, just saying.

James

I'd go with option 1.

Regs models typically hang around for decades, I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a matching first stage in a few years. Even better, one you've settled on a reg, keep an eye on the used market. You should be able to get a matching reg at a good price. Get it serviced and you will be set for doubles.

BTW, changing hoses is trivial. It only takes a few seconds.

What about if the price is right for option 2? There’s usually deals and bundles for 1st + 2nd stage, where buying them separately ends up being more expensive. For some 2nd stages I can’t even find them online stand-alone (though I’m sure a local dealer could get me one).

I must not understnd your options? If option 1 is a single Mark 19 with two G260 second stages, that is what I suggested to begin with. If option 2 is two Mark 19 first stages and each fitted with a single G260 (for two total) and you have the funds, go for it. As mentioned, hose changes are trivial, just set one Mark 19 aside and install both G260 to a first stage and go dive.

Back
Top Bottom