Question Buy now, use later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input! As a data point, renting equipment is pretty cheap around here, eg a regulator set costs around 5-10 EUR depending on the shop.

I already have a backplate with a singles wing. I will rent a doubles wing for the fundies class.

I would never do a deep, overhead, deco or any sort of penetration dive using a rented regulator. Casual diving I suppose. I would want to run some disinfectant through it perhaps.

Of course, now, she who watches over me and tells me what I can and cannot do does not allow most of that anyways :wink:.

Heh, I don’t think anyone who is experienced enough to do non-recreational diving rents anything. I’m talking about casual dives only.

Not saying we should do this or that it is okay, I do not want the scuba police pulling me over again. But, lets see, I recently pulled out of the box (NIB) two Mark V type first stages and put them into service. One I made some 50 dives on in Florida this past summer and the other about a dozen now total. They sat in the box for some 30 plus years, maybe closer to 40. Do not remember exactly when I got them, but Tekna shut down a long time ago (they are 99% parts compatible with the Mark V except are better), I dumpster dived them. Maybe I ought to service them, nah. I have one Conshelf XIV that I bought NIB cheap, cheap, that had been lost behind a heavy counter for decades. Rebuild it or use it, use it got the vote, lol.
Hence, the rubber and plastic parts were in good shape after 30 plus years?
Those parts were not subjected to physical stresses (pressure/pressure change/low or high temps/UV light/...) I guess.

I once (referring to a period of time here, not number of dives) used a regulator set that had not been serviced for 4 years. The regulator set did work ok, but it felt a little bit odd. There was something about the breathing resistance that I did not like. I then serviced the reg: poured out some rubber crumbs and stuff... and replaced parts. These things do age. Now, in perfect storage conditions maybe not, but in use, at least.

Some things are, however, more long lived. Like the standard diving dress (metal helmet, lead shoes, ...) and a manually operated air pump with cylinders sealed with leather... One hundred years old and still works, once some olive oil is added... Not sure my Apeks will be as long lived...

Hence, the rubber and plastic parts were in good shape after 30 plus years???

Those parts were not subjected to physical stresses (pressure/pressure change/low or high temps/UV light/...) I guess.

I once (referring to a period of time here, not number of dives) used a regulator set that had not been serviced for 4 years. Used the money for food instead. The regulator set did work ok, but it felt a little bit odd. There was something about the breathing resistance (which I tend to keep quite high for a number or reasons not relevant to you, but now it felt "different"). I then serviced the reg: poured out some rubber crumbs and stuff... and replaced parts. These things do age. Now, in perfect storage conditions maybe not, but in use, at least.

I once kept my regs unmaintained for 4 years (some financial constraints)

Anything, including us can and does wear out or get out of adjustment. One thing, among many, that separates experienced divers from the rest is that they are knowledgeable of their equipment and note changes and track maintenance. Not necessarily that they do it themselves but have a solid understanding of how it all works.

Some of the soft purge covers so in fashion these days tend to turn to goo or get stiff and crack. Not always an immediate issue but I hate gooey purge covers. What is wrong with a hard plastic or metal button anyways? A 30 years old Conshelf, no problem, a three weeks old xyz, I dunno.

The key to safely using any reg is a thorough inspection, especially those that have either a) gone a long (or unknown time) since service or b) just got back from service.

This only requires a tank with some air, an IP gauge, and a bowl of water. For the steps, see
This is a very very informative thread, thanks so much!

I would never do a deep, overhead, deco or any sort of penetration dive using a rented regulator. Casual diving I suppose.
Wise, I assume.
I would want to run some disinfectant through it perhaps.
Soap destroys the corona virus more efficiently than alcohol, I've heard. It has something to do with the surface of the virus being soluble in soap... you destroy its surface and it will dissipate in the four winds.

How soap kills the COVID-19 virus | Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Queen's University Belfast
Subscribers of The Guardian can read this, too: The science of soap – here’s how it kills the coronavirus | Pall Thordarson

So perhaps you should wash it with potent soap instead.

Since the topic came up in this thread asking here.
Attaching a chart from the Scubapro Product catalog with the question being Why does Scubapro do this? Why are only specific models of 2nd stage certified with a 1st stage? For example a C370 is not bundled with the MK19EVO or MK25. Whats the logic? I am guessing it’s more marketing driven than technical?

PS: I got a c370 and S600 and an XTX50 to pair with an MK19Evo and an a MK25 on the logic that regs can be mixed and matched and the balanced 2nd stages make them fine-tunable in the water for differing IP.

D18E861F-90AF-437C-9972-B021507129A3.jpeg

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Over engineering

My first stages are either Apeks DS4 or Apeks DST.
(TEK3 doesn't suit my config and MTX is too expensive)
(DS4/DST/TEK3 are the same, save hose config).

My second stages are XTX50.
ATX50 or 40 would be as good. XTX is needed for sidemount L/R config, though. Handedness can be changed...

Keep it simple - keep it Apeks.
- I am not yet affiliated with Apeks, but I can give my bank account number to Apeks, if needed :wink:

Dear Nemrod,
I assume you are known by the name of Nimrod, too.

There's a song about you,
like there is of all the great heroes.
A.J. Kaufmann - Nimrod's House - Free Music Archive

No comment on lyrics - it's just a fun coincidende! :D

Nope, just Nemrod. After the Spanish manufactuer of scuba equipment. I was sitting in the 8th grade reading through the latest Nemrod catalog and all the other boys were looking over my shoulder because the catalog was full of scantily clad women. Sister Catherine floated up from behind, the other boys scattered and she took the catalog from me cracking my fingers with the metal edge ruler, flipped through it and exclaimed, Nemrod! And ever after called me Nemrod with a wink and so it was and so it is. She kept the catalog :wink:, I kept a scar on my finger :).

Wise, I assume.

Soap destroys the corona virus more efficiently than alcohol, I've heard. It has something to do with the surface of the virus being soluble in soap... you destroy its surface and it will dissipate in the four winds.

How soap kills the COVID-19 virus | Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Queen's University Belfast
Subscribers of The Guardian can read this, too: The science of soap – here’s how it kills the coronavirus | Pall Thordarson

So perhaps you should wash it with potent soap instead.

Covid schmovid, I am more afraid of the green stuff I have seen growing in some rental regulators.

N

Back
Top Bottom