Buying first reg; what questions to ask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishLips

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new diver, and I'll be going to the Scuba Show in Long Beach next week. I'm trying to get educated about gear so I don't overspend on features I don't need, but so I get what I do need. I'll be diving primarily in Southern California, and occasionally Mexico and the Caribbean. I plan to get my AOW within the next month or two.

What questions should I ask when talking to vendors about regs? (Or any other gear for that matter?) Thanks for any and all input.

Kelli

With regs, something that has an environmental seal would be nice to protect against salt corosion. Also you will obviously want something in your price range. But also ask what type of diver the reg is bset suited for(shallow, deep, technical). That being said, you have to know what type of diving you are doing so that you can tell them. Sometimes saying that you are planning to get your AOW doesn't really narrow it down.That way they can recommend something to you. You have to tell them what type of conditions and depths you will be diving.

Hope that helps

I always like to walk up and ask them if this is the thingy you hook up to the oxygen tank. Wish I had a dollar for every non-diver who ever asked me that.

One important thing to consider is whether you can get the reg you buy serviced locally.

Back
Top Bottom