Buying from local dive shop verse online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
Then thank god, we have people like Larry (member of this board), who realized that the Dive Shop business model has changed, and that he had to add an internet shop to his store, in order to compete with the online shops.

three cheers for Larry, hip hip hurray...etc... I agree, I have been in a couple times and they are a quality outfit. Maybe this is the future of the retail dive industry? a merger of sorts. Best of both worlds.

Support you LDS.
Work with them on Price. Most will.
Don't buy on ebay unless you know what your getting. It is life support equipment so make sure if it is used or from ebay get it evauluated.
If your LDS is out of whack shop other LDS's

Your LDS can not get everything, and then I would go out on the net. thanks Bob3
But buying from you LDS can have extra perks.

ShakaZulu:
Then thank god, we have people like Larry (member of this board), who realized that the Dive Shop business model has changed, and that he had to add an internet shop to his store, in order to compete with the online shops.

There are different types of diving consumers, and thus there should be different types of dive shops. Some divers can rebuild every piece of their own equipment. I know a guy who replaces his own drysuit boots and zippers (he's a polymer scientist for a tire company.) Then there are people who can't select a mask without two hours of handholding. Each person needs to determine where they fall on this spectrum, and then be willing to pay a fair price for the level of service/support/advice/counseling they require. That means, you don't take up two hours of a dive shop employees' paid time unless you pay the dive shop's price, which includes an allowance for that overhead cost. That means, if you buy something from Leisure Pro, you don't drive up their prices by demanding a level of service innapropriate to that venue.
Know your own limitations, and pay for what you get. You can leverage your own knowledge and experience to save cash, or pay more cash to have your lack of knowledge and experience accommodated, but don't go looking for a free lunch. If you buy something from LP, and once you get it, you don't know how to put it together or use it, then go to your LDS, and pay them the difference between LP's price and their price on the item to spend time teaching you. Use your head or use your cash, but use one of them, and don't go looking to get something for nothing.

This is the crux of the issue - if absolutely no one needs LDS service levels (which we know isn't the case) then why have an LDS at all? It's a supply without a demand. If some consumers don't need LDS level service, why should they have to pay for it, in effect subsidizing those who do? At the same time, those who need LDS level service should not be demanding it of online vendors, because they'll just drive up the prices paid by those who don't need such service.

Yeah. My local dive shop figured out a few years ago that if he was going to stay in business he couldn't charge full retail price with all the competition of mail order and internet sales. So he started his own interne web site and lowered his prices. So intest of going out business, he's now having to move into a larger shop to support the increased volume in sales. Of course now all of his prices are competitive now and he'll match any price of anyone in case he isn't, including Leisure Pro.

The good thing about buying from him on price though is that everything he sells comes with a full manufacturer warranty. You don't get that at Leisure Pro.

He's also got the best customer service attitude of any dive shop we've had around our area in a long while.

Anyway.... they sell the Apeks requlators if you want a fair price and also a full warranty.... lemme know or email me.

-mike

DavidHickey:
Ok,
I've read on here numerous times that you should buy from your local dive store due to servicability. Maybe my dive store is different. But I was looking at their Apeks AT20 regulators and the ATX200. I think the 20 was 579.00 and the ATX200 was 670.00 or somewhere around there. Well at online stores like Leisure Pro, the same regs are going for under 300.00. Makes it really hard to support the local store. Do regulators require that much maintenance? Won't the local store service what you buy online? Or in order to not piss them off to much tell them you bought it from a buddy or something. And is there anything to lookout for when buying online? I just noticed Leisure Pro has Scuba Pro MK25/600's listed at 389.95 Yet there is one on Ebay right now going for 606.00 Seems a little Odd. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And for instance, I have not received it yet but I just bought a BCD on Ebay. Add says brand new, tags still attached, all manuals. and the Cheapest I've seen this BCD anywere including discount dive shops was 470.00 I won the auction for 285.00 Just makes it hard to justify local. Granted I may get taken on the ebay deal, but so far I have NEVER had a bad deal on Ebay. In all of my transactions on Ebay, I have always gotten exactly what was advertised. Any how just wanted some opinions from you experienced guys who have been thru this. To me being brand new to all this the money savings just seems to good to be true.

My local laughingly called dive shop is a complete rip off. Over priced like you would not believe. Get all my stuff from the net. All reputable suppliers, some who know my instructor and i have good relationships with them. Often contact them by phone as well. Get great prices, delivery straight to the door and exactly what i want. Can't beat it. Just bought a new bcd. Could have got it £30 dearer at one outlet but shopped around without needing to move from the house. It did help that i knew exactly what i wanted though. There is a wealth of info on the net, through places like the board and numerous other sites. Makes it easy to review and come to a decision. Net or phone call after browsing online content every time for me.

Lets Talk you want to price shop call me I will price shop with you. And Price Match with there Shipping and handling charges also added in and any other charge they may charge you. Give your LDSs a chance if they do not want to work with you call me I will. Then you will get your full manufactures warrantee and service will be no problem.

My husband and I bought 2 full sets of gear this summer (BCD's, regulators, tanks, wetsuits, computers, etc...) and bought it all at our LDS. Yes, we paid more than we could have gotten it online, but the owner of the shop walked us through the entire purchase. He was concerned with what we wanted, tried to find what fit our needs the best, and never tried to push anything off on us. Due to the large amount of $$ money we were spending, he gave us a great deal. We got full warranty on all of it, and free service the first year. It turned out that a lot of what I thought I wanted, was not necessarily the gear I needed. I've never regretted our decision to buy local...it was money well spent! You can't go into an online store just to visit in the afternoon, and you can't talk about great dives you've gone on or the anticipation of ones to come. We have developed strong friendships with several people from the dive shop, and even joined their club! We would have missed out on everything that, now, makes our diving so enjoyable. And it gives me a great deal of comfort knowing that any time I have question or concern about my gear, I can pick up the phone or hop in the car and have a personal answer. That is hard to find online.

We are very proud to support our LDS!!!

Amber
mom2twinz99

mike_s:
Yeah. My local dive shop figured out a few years ago that if he was going to stay in business he couldn't charge full retail price with all the competition of mail order and internet sales. So he started his own interne web site and lowered his prices. So intest of going out business, he's now having to move into a larger shop to support the increased volume in sales. Of course now all of his prices are competitive now and he'll match any price of anyone in case he isn't, including Leisure Pro.

The good thing about buying from him on price though is that everything he sells comes with a full manufacturer warranty. You don't get that at Leisure Pro.

He's also got the best customer service attitude of any dive shop we've had around our area in a long while.

Anyway.... they sell the Apeks requlators if you want a fair price and also a full warranty.... lemme know or email me.

-mike

Just post the URL dude....

Don't hold out on us...

:banana:

I'm getting my OW cert through a LDS. Items that the LDS has reasonable prices on (generally smaller accessories) I purchase through them.

But let's face it, it's impossible for me to pay $500 for a regulator that I can get from LP for $250. As for service, what service? The things I have considering purchasing from LDS's do NOT have any advantage vs. purchase online.

If the LDS offered a few years of free annual maintenance on say a regulator, I'd certainly consider paying more and purchasing locally. But they don't. LP matches the manufacture Warranty, and in most cases that covers manufacture defects. However it does not in most cases cover stuff like wear and tear on BC's, orings annual maintenance or EVEN inspection.

My LDS will get my business on maintenance, and if they are NOT VERY glad to get that business which I will pay for, and have a good attitude supporting equipment that I did not purchase through them, then I will find someone who is.

The LDS I'm using is hardly small. They have a very large facility, about two dozen instructors from the Maser level to AI's, a travel agency, a pool, classrooms with Plasma TV's, full shower and kitchen facilities, air and nitrox fill stations, a rental section, the works! Unfortunately their prices stink compared to even places like Scubatoys who is ALSO a LDS.

IMO if they wanted to compete on prices by increasing volume and selling online, they certainly appear to have the resources. I think they have chose NOT to do so, and would rather make ONE sale with a 100% markup, vs. having to make three sales to get the same margin. That is certainly their choice, and my choice is to find better prices.

Ron

It sounds like you made good decisions that fit your needs.

My question is however, would you have received less welcome had you joined their *club* had you NOT purchased the gear from them?

There are certainly MANY ways to support local diving organizations other than spending huge amounts on retail items. I would HOPE that the requirement is NOT a huge purchase with a LDS to make people feel welcome.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom