Buying it Once...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No such thing as 'buy it once' with diving...

(It's all about the toys)

There could be such a thing as buy it once . . . and then buy the next toy, and the next . . .

And in this case, "buy it once" is a BP/W. It's the best fitted rig for diving doubles, cave and tech. There is no need to go with a halfway measure. Buy it once, and put the money you would spend replacing a hybrid BC toward the cost of a good can light :)

this is exactly what I was looking for...

It would seem that BP/W is the clear choice, now it is only to determine Which of the several reputable brands to go with...

if it makes any differences my body size is 6' 3" , 275lbs.

When it comes to a BP/W setup is there much to "service after sale" ? I ask because if there is little to no service requirements then I can safely look online without feeling pressured to find something locally that I may not be completely happy with (an I wanna be completely happy :)).

Just a thought in a slightly different direction. I see you live in Toledo - BRRRRR!! Chances are some of your diving will done here in cold water and some in the south. If you are just getting certified then I suggest a singles BC that will get you comfortable with diving for 50 to 100 dives. This could take a couple years depending on how active you are. This will allways be you single tank BC and your vacation gear. When you are ready for doubles, if ever, the gear purchase will be easier because you now have the experience to make your own informed choice. In my experience most divers that have doubles also have, or at least started with, a single. Not many divers like taking apart their rigs to switch back and forth. Welcome to diving - you will love it. I see a lot of posts from your area and a bunch that calls themselves 'The Great Lakes Wrecking Crew'. They sound like a fun group.

Service after sale for a BPW setup is probably as minimal as you could imagine. As someone else cited DiveRite, DSS, Oxycheck, Halcyon, Zeagle, Hollis, and OMS all have pretty decent systems. In my mind (and I am sure opinions vary) the critical component is the wing. There are lots of brands and styles and lift capacities...and I will leave it to others to express their opinons. I have two, an OMS and a DiveRite, but others swear by other brands. The diverite wing I have is supposed to be able to handle singles and doubles, but frankly it isn't "all that and a bag of chips" when it comes to diving a single on it. It does fine with doubles.

If you want...check diverite express Dive Rite Express as they have package deals on bp/w systems...but I will grant they are a little on the high side in terms of cost. Still that is where I bought mine from and they were even kind enough to rig the harness to the plate when I asked if they would mind. I guess I could have price shopped a bit more...but the package had the backplate, harness, rings, weight system, crotch strap, wing, and a set of tank bands for singles all inclusive.

By the way, and again opinions vary, but I would get a stainless steel backplate in lieu of the aluminum...especially since you are not what I would call a small person.

Good Luck and have fun!

I sold my Ranger after one dive on a BP/W set up. You can save a wad and buy used too and not have to worry about the backplate being jacked up. A little more info required for buying a used wing. Hogarthian rig too.

Im in the same boat as you. Already had my LDS/instructor order me a Zeagle Ranger LTD. For where i want my diving to go, doubles, tech, ect... that was the only one he recommended. He said stay away from a bp/w setup initially. Dive a few years in the ranger first, then transition.
Anytime someone gives you advice like that, your first response should be "Why?"

Then check the veracity of whatever they tell you.

Instructors ... especially those who either own or work for dive shops ... will base their recommendations on either what they're familiar with or what they sell. Their recommendations are not always in your best interest. It's worthwhile to take their advice with a grain of skepticism ... especially if they stand to benefit by selling you the gear they recommend ...

There's nothing wrong with a Ranger ... Zeagle makes good rigs ... but I've yet to see anyone actually diving doubles in one. And I know many ... many ... divers who transitioned to tech diving, sold their Ranger, and are now diving a backplate/wing. That's because for diving doubles and using stage/deco bottles, a BP/W is the best tool for the job.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You are a big guy like I am. Check out Deep Sea Supply's large BP. Awesome. I have the steel and the kydex plates and they are the best I have seen. They also have nice wings, but I love my Oxycheq Mach V.

NWGratefulDiver:
There's nothing wrong with a Ranger ... Zeagle makes good rigs ... but I've yet to see anyone actually diving doubles in one. And I know many ... many ... divers who transitioned to tech diving, sold their Ranger, and are now diving a backplate/wing. That's because for diving doubles and using stage/deco bottles, a BP/W is the best tool for the job.
I transitioned well BEFORE moving to doubles, and prefer my BP to my Ranger for singles as well. Love the Ranger, great BCD in many ways, well-made, reliable, comfortable. But, it simply isn’t as simple, comfortable, etc. as my BP.
TsandM:
There could be such a thing as buy it once . . . and then buy the next toy, and the next . . . And in this case, "buy it once" is a BP/W. It's the best fitted rig for diving doubles, cave and tech. There is no need to go with a halfway measure. Buy it once, and put the money you would spend replacing a hybrid BC toward the cost of a good can light.
Lynn hits it right on the head/nose/whatever. Serious divers will always find gear to buy, or add. The closest thing to a ‘B-I-O’ solution is a BP. I will go farther. As a newer diver, in colder water, it is a steel BP, rather than aluminum. And, when you are looking for that light for colder, darker northern quarry waters, the can light you can buy with your accrued ‘savings’ is also the ‘B-I-O’.:wink:
laughintom:
You are a big guy like I am. Check out Deep Sea Supply's large BP. Awesome. I have the steel and the kydex plates and they are the best I have seen. They also have nice wings, but I love my Oxycheq Mach V.
You might PM Tobin (Cool_Hardware52) at Deep Sea Supply. GREAT resource, and gear. There are also a lot of SB posts about the Mach V, and I want to try one. I have an Oxycheq Signature 50 that I like a lot but the Mach V seems to have achieved almost cult status.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom