Buying it Once...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not buy anything at this point, at least until you have finished your certification class. You will need dive experience to determine what will work best for you. Certainly in theory a BP/W set up is the most versatile and probably you'll end up with one if you have any interest in doubles and/or tech diving. But for now you should try a variety of things.

Also, it's impossible to have one set up for all dive scenarios. There are lots of variables; weighting requirement, tank size/material, exposure suit, etc, and each of things would have an impact on the ideal BP/W set up or BC set up, including wing size and plate material. You will not be able to choose the right set up until you figure out the other issues. For now, have fun in your cert class!

I've come to really like that Hollis HTS - Harness Technical System rig.

has the rec-style padding I like (dont like the "bare bones" harnesses), I can dive it single tank without a STA (saves me a lil' $) , dont need a SS plate until I want to do doubles (save a lil' more there). Looks like I can get it with a 48lb wing for about $600 which is in the ballpark I'd allotted.

I'll see how/if my local shop wants to compete and go from there...

Anyone currently diving the HTS ? think its fairly new, may not be many owners as yet.

here's a link to it...
Buy Hollis HTS Harness Technical System 208.1200 with reviews at scuba.com

has the rec-style padding I like (dont like the "bare bones" harnesses), I can dive it single tank without a STA (saves me a lil' $) , dont need a SS plate until I want to do doubles (save a lil' more there). Looks like I can get it with a 48lb wing for about $600 which is in the ballpark I'd allotted.

I'll see how/if my local shop wants to compete and go from there...

Anyone currently diving the HTS ? think its fairly new, may not be many owners as yet.
Couple of things to consider. An SS BP is going to take 6lbs off your belt and since your a big guy and sounds like your going to be diving cold that will help in trim and comfort. The padding is nice but you find like many of us unless your diving in shorts it doesn't do much if anything for comfort and mostly gets in the way when adding things to. I have a Transpac I just relagated to be my vacation rig, the first thing I did was remove all the padding except the back pad because the transpac does not have a plate and bolts would cut in if I didn't have it. This is not an issue with a BP. The wing your looking at is really big for single tank diving. This is the one area that having two works best. With a large wing like that on a single tank your going to get the taco effect around your tank which is really not ideal for getting trimmed out. I had a 40lb Halcyon Eclipse and when looking at pictures of myself diving I could see where the little bit of air I used had all got trapped in the top of the wing wrapped around the tank. Not ideal at all. Since this is now a vacation rig i got an 18lb OMS MachV which is fantastic for this rig.

Ideally a SS BP/W with a maybe a 30lb wing would get you started then when your ready to go to doubles get a wing that is suited for doubles. In the end you will probably end up with 2 set ups.

Best of Luck

has the rec-style padding I like (dont like the "bare bones" harnesses), I can dive it single tank without a STA (saves me a lil' $) , dont need a SS plate until I want to do doubles (save a lil' more there). [/url]

Have you tried the 'bare bones' harness? It's far more comfortable then it looks. :)

On the STA thing, there are systems like DSS where you don't need a STA with a BP/W and it works wonders, plus the total figure is about 150 USD less then this. SS plate is a must if you like your weight properly distributed or are planning a drysuit in the future.

I'm looking at the link you provided, doesn't seem like anything special there, add a bladder and you've got a regular rec BC. You don't need a sternum strap, you need a crotch strap, cummberbund can also go, and back pad and etc... :)

wing I was looking at 38 lbs. (although they make a 25 as well)... , would this still cause the "taco" effect you describe.

Xander you seem to imply that there is a stability issue with soft packs. Is this a general blanket implication or are there particular brands to beware of? and of course I'll have to get a SS Eventually when I want/need doubles... but why Pay for it until then?

There are three things right off the bat that will likely keep you from "buying it once" with this system. The padding on the harness will likely just annoy you underwater, a SS plate is often better for single tanks where you need extra ballast, and a 48 LB wing for single tanks is almost certainly too big.

If you really want to "buy it once" you'll have to wait until you have some experience to evaluate the pros and cons (especially "cons!") of dive gear you're interested in.

There are three things right off the bat that will likely keep you from "buying it once" with this system. The padding on the harness will likely just annoy you underwater, a SS plate is often better for single tanks where you need extra ballast, and a 48 LB wing for single tanks is almost certainly too big.

If you really want to "buy it once" you'll have to wait until you have some experience to evaluate the pros and cons (especially "cons!") of dive gear you're interested in.

ok those 3 things arent dealbreakers.... for one its not a 48lb wing, its a 38 (or 25); secondly annoying padding doesnt cause me to buy anything again, if annoying I simply remove it, and thirdly I see the argument of a SS plate being used as integral wt., but I disagree that this somehow breaks my buy-it-once ethos... as I need a wt. belt anyway (I like the idea of distributed wt. , not having all my wt. eggs in one basket as it were).

So.... good, I need honest critique to test my reasoning and ensure I'm getting what I want/need... but your 3 reasons are weak.... have any more?

You can lead a horse to water.......

Pvt,

You ask for opinions and advice, then either disregard it when given, or insult those who try to help.

Good luck,

Tobin

ok those 3 things arent dealbreakers.... for one its not a 48lb wing, its a 38 (or 25); secondly annoying padding doesnt cause me to buy anything again, if annoying I simply remove it, and thirdly I see the argument of a SS plate being used as integral wt., but I disagree that this somehow breaks my buy-it-once ethos... as I need a wt. belt anyway (I like the idea of distributed wt. , not having all my wt. eggs in one basket as it were).

So.... good, I need honest critique to test my reasoning and ensure I'm getting what I want/need... but your 3 reasons are weak.... have any more?
FWIW, those three arguements are anything but weak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom