Buying it Once...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So.... good, I need honest critique to test my reasoning and ensure I'm getting what I want/need... but your 3 reasons are weak.... have any more?

I'm not insulted by your post. You can get whatever you want and I would hope that you're happy with it, even if it's a totally different set up than I personally would be happy with. My main point is that you need experience to effectively choose an ideal BP/W or BC set up. Since at this point you have very little of that experience, you can "borrow" some from other more experienced divers in the form of advice to specific questions. Taking offense at that advice is silly, but I don't think you've done that, at least not as much as some people seem to.

Having said that, my reasons are not weak, they're based on exactly what you don't have, some experience diving with the type of gear in question.

sometimes i wonder if telling someone to go straight to a rear inflate or bpw or zeagle/dss/hog or (insert better gear option here) is the right thing for the newbie

i dont think you can really appreciate good fitting, fun to dive, comfortable and multi-purpose dive gear until you have bought over priced and dived badly fitting and crappy gear first! sometimes the journey of self education is important

:D

sometimes i wonder if telling someone to go straight to a rear inflate or bpw or zeagle/dss/hog or (insert better gear option here) is the right thing for the newbie

i dont think you can really appreciate good fitting, fun to dive, comfortable and multi-purpose dive gear until you have bought over priced and dived badly fitting and crappy gear first! sometimes the journey of self education is important

:D
Been there, done that ... my first BP/W was my third BCD purchase. My first BP/W with a simple hog harness was my fourth ... and I'm still diving it. If I'd have listened to all the advice from the experienced folks, rather than rationalizing why I didn't agree with 'em, I'd have saved myself over $1,000.

Then again, the local dive shop owners loved me a lot more back in those days ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks again for all the responses, and accept my apologies for any ruffled feathers...

Some people (myself being one of them) overreact to any slighting (real Or percieved).

I start my cert classes next week... I jus' Know my instructor's gonna Love me (may be related to Tobin [no offense Tobin your me in 20 years :)])

I start my cert classes next week... I jus' Know my instructor's gonna Love me (may be related to Tobin [no offense Tobin your me in 20 years :)])

Good luck with your classes. No matter what gear you pick, diving is a ton of fun!

Like everyone has said, there is generally no 1 time purchase does it all in diving because different setups (wetsuit/drysuit, warm/cold, singles/doubles) require different rig needs. But like everyone said, as you move to technical diving the rig moves more to at BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom