Buying it Once...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xander you seem to imply that there is a stability issue with soft packs. Is this a general blanket implication or are there particular brands to beware of? and of course I'll have to get a SS Eventually when I want/need doubles... but why Pay for it until then?

Don't know about it's stability, but I was never happy with the fit of the regular BC, mostly because they were lacking a crotch strap. Sternum strap has no real purpose or practical use.

Funny thing is, you'd like to avoid paying now for something you don't need, even if it implies saving now in total 150 USD comparing to the current package you're looking at? :) You'll have to pay anyway for a new wing for doubles when the time comes, so why pay also for a BP and pay up more in the end?

Anyway, if you like it, just buy it, but don't expect a pat on the back if you asked for recommendations and decided to go the other way just because you like it. :14:

I'm off diving with my BP/W anyway. :lotsalove:
DSS Single BP/W

I think that, on any topic one brings to a discussion board, one is likely to get a variety of opinions. But when the overwhelming majority of people are giving you the same answer, it's probably worth a little time reflecting on WHY. It's likely that some of those people have tried the things you're thinking about trying, and have ended up changing their minds and buying other gear.

The fact is that for any advanced diving, a BP/W is almost universally used (unless you're sidemounting) and that's what everybody's trying to tell you.

serious about buying it once?

a ss plate, ebay is fine, any manufacturer. i got mine for $70.

hog harness for about $20 or do-it-yourself for about $5-15.

singles wing - yeah, if you buy new, this is the big purchase, but it's way cheaper than $600. or you can buy your buddy's who is buying his/her doubles wing for cheap.

now, buy whatever you want from whoever you want, but that's how to buy it once.

ok those 3 things arent dealbreakers.... for one its not a 48lb wing, its a 38 (or 25); secondly annoying padding doesnt cause me to buy anything again, if annoying I simply remove it, and thirdly I see the argument of a SS plate being used as integral wt., but I disagree that this somehow breaks my buy-it-once ethos... as I need a wt. belt anyway (I like the idea of distributed wt. , not having all my wt. eggs in one basket as it were).

I think the larger point here is that you simply don't know what you don't know. Buy it once is a noble goal but unlikely to work out in practice. It's unlikely you can sit in your armchair and decide what gear will serve your needs best for all time. The part about the harness padding is an example of this. You figure the hog harness will be uncomfortable but in the water it is not uncomfortable to most. Another example is your assumption that you will use a weight belt.

You can lead a horse to water.......

Pvt,

You ask for opinions and advice, then either disregard it when given, or insult those who try to help.

Good luck,

Tobin

I've done neither... , I'm AM however questioning/picking apart the arguments to better understand.

In the text only enviroment it is very easy to read in this "Insult" (go ahead and quote the ad hom for me if you can) that was never there.

Questioning isnt insulting... except to those On High.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but I'll not feel insulted about it... that wasnt your intention right?

I took the line "your 3 reasons are weak" to be an insult. You had already addressed the three things the previous poster had mentioned and explained why you didn't think they were critical, no point in adding on that "weak" characterization.

ok those 3 things arent dealbreakers.... for one its not a 48lb wing, its a 38 (or 25);
Simple mistake and it does not effect your choice so no biggie.

secondly annoying padding doesnt cause me to buy anything again, if annoying I simply remove it,
Very true but you asked for advise and the over all majority has stated we had been that route and it's a waste at best. Our point would be why buy something you don't need which follows along the path of buying one time.

and thirdly I see the argument of a SS plate being used as integral wt., but I disagree that this somehow breaks my buy-it-once ethos... as I need a wt. belt anyway (I like the idea of distributed wt. , not having all my wt. eggs in one basket as it were).
I'm not quite following you here. You do not want to put the weight on your back, IE; a SS BP. you state you can do that with a weight belt. If it's not going to all be on your belt then that leaves weight pockets if your distributing it around. This is fine but with the amount you will need to dive cold water wet or dry suit thats a lot of weight all located in one general area. Thats the reason of us have found that putting some weight high on our backs distributes the weight a lot more efficiently. YMMV

So.... good, I need honest critique to test my reasoning and ensure I'm getting what I want/need...
The terms want and need are rarely if ever used with each other. When my kids say "I need that" my response is "no you want that and you need to seperate your needs and your wants". This is your choice and your money but you did ask for advise if you decide to go your own direction thats great but why ask for advise? The arguement you use that you want to test your theory is weak at best since you have stated you do not know and are asking because.

but your 3 reasons are weak.... have any more?
I don't care how you read that or spin it, it's a quote looking for a negative response.

Could the same thing have been accomplished with a response like this? I thank you for your time and effort and have thought about what your proposing. However for me I like the system I have been looking at.

A better title to this thread could have been. I am buying this BC.....go ahead and try and talk me out of it because I'm buying it either way.

A better title to this thread could have been. I am buying this BC.....go ahead and try and talk me out of it because I'm buying it either way.

Well put.

I've never once used the "Ignore List" feature this board provides. Pvtstash has me reconsidering that.

Tobin

Well put.

I've never once used the "Ignore List" feature this board provides. Pvtstash has me reconsidering that.

Tobin

Because I really just dont know How I'll be able to sleep without your approval.

Yes I said those reasons were weak.... weak does have a more personal connotation to it , I suppose I Could have said "I dont find those reasons to be of sufficient import"... but I chose weak instead... mea maxia culpa, I truely didnt mean to Insult anyone.

Of course the bigger the Ego , the easier to bruise.... Tobin... (fight it Tobin! Fight it!)

Or just said nothing at all. You can listen to all the advice, filter it however you wish, take some to heart and disregard the rest, and make your decision. No need to rebut all the advice you don't think is worthy.

Back
Top Bottom