C-card question not trolling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this problem begins and ends with the tort bar.

Hopefully, there will be some changes coming in this area in the reasonable future. I suspect the issue will be forced by professionals in various areas who will simply refuse to provide their services until it is addressed, and that will be that.

Its already happening to some degree with the medical field in Florida and elsewhere.

IMHO, "informed consent" needs to be defined in a way that stops these lawsuits - dead in their tracks. You should have the absolute right to sign away the ability to sue over things like this, and people should have the right to demand that you do so to provide them with the services and products you request.

The line can easily be drawn at willful misconduct - a point with which I believe nobody will argue - without preventing this kind of reform from taking place.

If it doesn't, then there will be no commerce in a number of areas, or the price will rise to the point that nobody can or will afford it.

Its already happened here - and the money that you're paying for that insurance and liability is not buying you a better or safer product - its padding the pockets of a group of people who have, in large, created the entire concept of infantalism for adults because it suits them when you do something and have a bad outcome - not you.

...I agree with Genesis. The mating call of society, 1990-2003. "It's not my fault! The coffee was too hot!" Coffee is supposed to be hot, you're just stupid. "Yes, but it's not my fault! I'm stupid because my teacher and parents never taught me that putting coffee in my lap while driving might cause me to sing soprano!"

Now, on a different note...

Savitar once bubbled...

I'm set up to do surface supply, air and heliox, which includes a Kirby Morgan Superlight 17K and a DESCO air hat, complete with comms and an Outland Technologies video inspection system (Check out the UWS-3010. http://www.outlandtech.com/otisys.htm) I have available 3 AGA and one Neptune full face masks (with comms) for SCUBA, as well as standard DIR configured regulators. Viking dry suit, and several wet suits for different climates. I have a first aid kit that rivals most rescue services, complete with triage, oxygen, burn, and impact injury support. I've dived several historical equipment configurations. And own many unusual pieces.

Several people on this board want to make diving sound like climbing Everest, it's not that difficult. You need to know your limitations, and be in control of your fears and panic. If you read everything available, watch the internet for new info, try things out under controlled conditions, an instructor using a prepared lesson plan seems like a waste of time.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I can't understand why anyone would pay someone to teach them how to use a DPV that they could build in their garage. I'm currently building a low cost ROV for water tank inspection. It's not rocket science.

I hold no certification, and no instructor will acknowledge my past or present achievements toward attaining one, they will however, express interest in diving my gear.

While I agree with much of Savitar's post, I also have to say this.

1. Most people are not mechanical engineers.

2. A lot of people don't have the mechanical aptitude to rewire a lamp.

3. Most people don't require their ego to be stroked enough to post this self-gratifying, 'look at me, aren't I amazing?' list of everything they can do, and attempt to camoflage it behind an inane question like c-cards requirments. Call the Discovery Channel and get your own reality show.

Geez, gimmie a break!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

That's true. However, we want to be extra careful. We certainly don't benefit as it probably costs some small amount of business.

Has your shop ever though of selling on-line or mail order. I noticed that this year many of the manufacturers are now allowing it. In the last few months most of what I've sold has been over the phone sales.

...is all about the almighty dollar. Its big business. How did we do this year compared to last year. How many students did we train? How many specialties did we teach? How many students do we sell a full system to? Its kinda sad.

Diving is supposed to be about having fun, and enjoying yourself under water. Instructors should be there to create NEED for gear, not blatantly trying to sell. SPecialty courses were devised so dive shops could make more money. Thats it. Students learn a little bit more, and the shop might sell some more gear out of it. Drysuit, Night, Deep, Wreck. SOme have useful info, others dont.

I dont know. Something is going to happen soon, I think. SOmething will change hopefully...

Every diver should recieve a basic open water cert. I am against the idea of expiring c cards.

Remember we did this to keep government regulation out of diving by self regulation. Now with all of the new crap some shops and agencies are pushing to make money, because they cannot do it with a legite diving operation, we may welcome government regulation in the future.

You can get a c card in 3 days with all equipment provided for less then $200. It is well worth the investment.

Anyone interested diving PCB jetties Mon - Wed?

once my kid is back in school, I can get over there in a bit over an hour and don't have to be back here (Destin) until about 3:00?

Anyone wanna go offshore Destin for some diving? Tomorrow looks beautiful :) :) Have boat will crank. :)

Genesis once bubbled...
IMHO, "informed consent" needs to be defined in a way that stops these lawsuits - dead in their tracks. You should have the absolute right to sign away the ability to sue over things like this, and people should have the right to demand that you do so to provide them with the services and products you request.

Every day, as people are signing dive waivers and signing up for trips, at least one diver makes a scene. It is always the same thing. "You know, this doesn't really mean anything. No court would uphold this. I can't really sign away my rights..."

The sad thing is, they really believe it.

I know an instructor who got sued... for saving someone. Woman blacked out during safety stop. Instructor brought her to surface and administered rescue breathing and then CPR. Woman was revived at the hospital, and doctors diagnosed a heart attack.

A few days later, she returned to the dive shop and gave the instructor a big hug. Then next words out of her mouth were stunning, "Now, who's going to pay for all this?"

Apparently she wants a poor scuba instructor to pay for her heart attack, and her ambulance ride, and her ER treatment, and her hospital stay. The sad thing is that the insurer will probably settle rather than fight it.

Some people just don't believe in personal responsibility anymore.

I spained my wrist. As soon as I can use it again we'll get in the water. I just picked up five tanks from hydro. I need to go out and vip them.

We're going out for mini-season this coming week, weather permitting.... :)

Holler at me anytime :)

Do you have any site picked out yet?

What depths are you planning.

I need to renew my lic & stamp.

Minin season shouls be Wed & Thurs this week, reg season starting Aug 5.

What do I need to bring and how much gas money.
Tanks

Kris

Back
Top Bottom