calling out the BP/w-philes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crap, now my secret is out.

Not to worry.....we all know the truth about you.....the truth is out there and we shall take it to the grave with our split fins, poodle jackets, snorkels and Home Depot snaps.

You know the saying...«if you walk in another mans shoes you would know what they are thinking.( some derivative of that)...anywho....if you have not tried a BP/w yoi can not give someone and educated opinion of said BP/w...

Many have started off with the standard BC,,,,they got educated and have moved to a BP/W set up because of choice. so the point is...you choose what works best for you. Those that have swung both ways can offer and educated opinion on said BP/W vs BC....

I have. And I do. And I will. I own both a SCUBAPro Classic+ and a DSS BP/W. They're both nice, but neither is clearly superior.

Any BC is a just bag you can put air in, and a place to hang your tank. There's nothing inherently "better" about a BP/W, except that it handles a 100Lb+ set of doubles, which are too heavy for most cloth jacket-BCs.

Other than that, for anybody who's willing to work at it a little, there's absolutely nothing that a BP/W does better than a jacket (or a trashbag, inflator and duct tape, or two milk jugs and a rope).

A BP/W won't make you a better (or happier) diver, and only improves your trim to the extent that it makes being horizontal easier when overweighted, at the expense of being stable in any position. Poor horizontal trim in a jacket BC is a training issue, not an equipment issue.

In fact, the entire concept of "BC" or "wing" is relatively new, and in reality, neither is necessary for diving unless you're diving with a lot more than 80 CuFt of air or a really thick, compressible wetsuit.

Terry

Nicely put Web Monkey

As I stated..Been there done that and for me, prefer the wing as opposed to a jacket BC. So for one that has not tried it. You do not know until you do regardless of whom is giving the advise.

You have a choice. Just get educated about it and make the call that works best for you. So to the OP - there you have it in a nutshell...to each his own.

Safe dives

I have. And I do. And I will. I own both a SCUBAPro Classic+ and a DSS BP/W. They're both nice, but neither is clearly superior.

Any BC is a just bag you can put air in, and a place to hang your tank. There's nothing inherently "better" about a BP/W, except that it handles a 100Lb+ set of doubles, which are too heavy for most cloth jacket-BCs.

Other than that, for anybody who's willing to work at it a little, there's absolutely nothing that a BP/W does better than a jacket (or a trashbag, inflator and duct tape, or two milk jugs and a rope).

A BP/W won't make you a better (or happier) diver, and only improves your trim to the extent that it makes being horizontal easier when overweighted, at the expense of being stable in any position. Poor horizontal trim in a jacket BC is a training issue, not an equipment issue.

In fact, the entire concept of "BC" or "wing" is relatively new, and in reality, neither is necessary for diving unless you're diving with a lot more than 80 CuFt of air or a really thick, compressible wetsuit.

Terry

This thread was originally based on the disgust of the OP for people answering any question with 'get a BP/W'.
Some days, I log off of scubaboard when I have seen to many of them. Yep, it annoys me too. Didn't read all the posts here, but many immediately went to 'this is why i dive one', which is not the point of the thread.

Have seen it in posts where it is ridiculous
-where to place a secondary light (get a BP/W)
-where do you like to clip a camera (get a BP/W)
-what kind of fins should i buy (get a BP/W)
-should i buy a toyota (get a BP/W)
-what wetsuit should I bring to Bonaire (get a BP/W)

Yep, some people just like to say they have them. OK, maybe not the toyota question. :D Reminds me of the guy that always has to tell you they have a corvette....

Me: Hey Skippy, do you remember what the water temps in Coz are in Oct?
Skippy: I have a BP/W, I took it there when I went.........
Me: What do you mean?
Skippy: I have a corvette.
Me: @#(*%&@#

So do I, w/ my aluminum BP/W, have you ever actually weighed one or seen how neatly they fold up? While I've never taken the time to weigh my AL BP/W rig I'm guessing it can't be more than 6lbs., and WAY less bulky than a jacket style BCD. Pretty damned travel friendly I'd say.

You can fold your aluminum BP? Now thats innovative there I gotta get one!

I am afraid that people might call me on being a self-proclaimed DIW practitioner and refer to me instead as DICE. :)

DICE? What is that?

In regards to the OP: I have no problem with others wearing a jacket style BC so long as they do not silt out the lake wear I dive :D. Do I like my BP/W?...yes. Do I wish more people used one?...sometimes. Do I make every thread I post on about them?...I hope not.

I am afraid that people might call me on being a self-proclaimed DIW practitioner and refer to me instead as DICE. :)

I really don't think you have to worry about that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom