Can A NAUI DM Assist A PADI Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB:
So Diverguy, you are seeing that not all agencies respect professional reciprocity. As you know NAUI recognizes the training and professional standards of other agencies, and a professional holding a rating of equivalent standing or above from another agency will be recognized by NAUI - but there are agencies that do not share that principle of reciprocity.

So, a PADI instructor can "show their PADI card at the door" and get a NAUI Instructor card with the wave of a magic wand?

Cool... who knew?!?

So, a PADI instructor can "show their PADI card at the door" and get a NAUI Instructor card with the wave of a magic wand?

Cool... who knew?!?
gets better than that..a person certified advance or even open water can wave $500 and be a naui instr down in santo Domingo..know 2 personally that did just that.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 07:29 AM ----------

This is utter nonsense.

A NAUI instructor can't use a PADI DM during a NAUI class.

PADI will let a NAUI DM train as an AI or OWSI as if a PADI DM no problem. They will not cross over an OWSI without having the OWSI attend an IE- to ensure they are competent teaching in PADI Standards.

Actually to
"crossover" need to attend owsi part (last 3 days) of IDC and IE

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool... who knew?!?

No, but I don't believe there is a prohibition against a PADI DM assisting in a NAUI class. According to one poster, the reverse is not allowed.

This is utter nonsense.

This is a false statement. A NAUI Instructor can indeed use an active status DM from another agency at their discretion. It is up to the Instructor. NAUI does indeed recognize the professional ratings of other agencies, but it is their choice as to whether they use that person.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:12 PM ----------

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:13 PM ----------

Cool... who knew?!?

Fortunately it takes a little more than that:D

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:16 PM ----------

gets better than that..a person certified advance or even open water can wave $500 and be a naui instr down in santo Domingo..know 2 personally that did just that.

This would be a serious violation of NAUI standards if there is no ITC in which the person participated. Walking up to a NAUI CD and handing them $500 and being handed a NAUI Instructor card makes no sense. If this is being done then it should be reported.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:31 PM ----------

PADI will let a NAUI DM train as an AI or OWSI as if a PADI DM no problem. They will not cross over an OWSI without having the OWSI attend an IE- to ensure they are competent teaching in PADI Standards.

As a point of fact. NAUI will not "crossover" an OWSI from another agency without going through an ITC. The OWSI may, at the IT/CD's discretion, be given credit for SOME of the required steps to become a NAUI Instructor, but there are still components of the ITC that MUST be successfully completed to fulfill the requirements of the ITC.

This is utter nonsense.

You are very wrong.

Cool... who knew?!?

Absolutely not. A Padi instructor can act as a certified assistant in a Naui course however...as could a padi DM or AI.

So...now I'm completely and utterly confused. One says no...a couple say yes...I've made a couple people mad at other people and I think I may just go to bed. I'd like to think that two top agencies such as NAUI and PADI would play nice together since they have been at the top of the U.S. heap for years and have a lot of cross-over divers on each side. Again, I appreciate all the posts. I just want to go back to helping my former instructor with classes like I used to. You'd think 40 years of diving with hundreds of dives would count for something! Cheers all.

This is a false statement. A NAUI Instructor can indeed use an active status DM from another agency at their discretion. It is up to the Instructor. NAUI does indeed recognize the professional ratings of other agencies, but it is their choice as to whether they use that person.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:12 PM ----------

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:13 PM ----------

Fortunately it takes a little more than that:D

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:16 PM ----------

This would be a serious violation of NAUI standards if there is no ITC in which the person participated. Walking up to a NAUI CD and handing them $500 and being handed a NAUI Instructor card makes no sense. If this is being done then it should be reported.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:31 PM ----------

As a point of fact. NAUI will not "crossover" an OWSI from another agency without going through an ITC. The OWSI may, at the IT/CD's discretion, be given credit for SOME of the required steps to become a NAUI Instructor, but there are still components of the ITC that MUST be successfully completed to fulfill the requirements of the ITC.

Not according to the version of the NAUI book I have:

Definition
A “Certified Assistant” is an individual who has completed a designated NAUI Course and registered with NAUI and may include an Instructor, Skin Diving Instructor, Training Assistant, Assistant Instructor, or Divemaster.
Limitations
Many individuals can serve in the role of “assistant” during a course. The role and responsibilities that a certified assistant can assume may be limited by their rating.
Student:Instructor Ratio
The number of students one NAUI instructor may supervise in a given training situation varies with the course, the number of assistants, and the situation. The acceptable ratios are stated in the NAUI S&P Manual.
Assistants in training
Candidates formally enrolled in a NAUI Assistant Instructor course may assist with instruction, but only count toward ratios in confined water activities.
Assistant as role model
Assistants are powerful role models for the students with whom they interact. An assistant’s behavior is also a potent model of appropriate leadership conduct for future divers, some of whom will try to become leaders.

- it may have changed- but this is the version I have that defines a certified assistant as a NAUI trained leadership holding member-

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 02:01 AM ----------

You are very wrong.

Absolutely not. A Padi instructor can act as a certified assistant in a Naui course however...as could a padi DM or AI.

Here's the NAUI definition I have:

Definition
A “Certified Assistant” is an individual who has completed a designated NAUI Course and registered with NAUI and may include an Instructor, Skin Diving Instructor, Training Assistant, Assistant Instructor, or Divemaster.

Limitations
Many individuals can serve in the role of “assistant” during a course. The role and responsibilities that a certified assistant can assume may be limited by their rating.

Student:Instructor Ratio
The number of students one NAUI instructor may supervise in a given training situation varies with the course, the number of assistants, and the situation. The acceptable ratios are stated in the NAUI S&P Manual.

Assistants in training
Candidates formally enrolled in a NAUI Assistant Instructor course may assist with instruction, but only count toward ratios in confined water activities.

Assistant as role model
Assistants are powerful role models for the students with whom they interact. An assistant’s behavior is also a potent model of appropriate leadership conduct for future divers, some of whom will try to become leaders.

Omission, you are either looking in the wrong place or looking at an ancient s&p.

Look specifically in the policies applying to all courses, assistants and ratios.

It says equivalent members from other agencies may be used as certified assistants but can only count towards ratios if in an active status.

I'm a long time NAUI Divemaster. My local shop has gone PADI although I haven't yet. Can I still assist with basic classes and count towards ratios?

You can be present but you will count as a student for ratios the same as any certified diver would and you won't be able to fulfill a supervisory role until you cross over.

Basically neither you nor the instructor will have much benefit from that construction. What's stopping you from crossing over?

R..

There is nothing to that effect in the 2015 PADI Manual. There is no discussion of equivalencies for certified assistants.

Certified Assistant​
A certified assistant is a Teaching Status PADI Instructor, PADI​
Assistant Instructor or Active Status PADI Divemaster.
Omission, you are either looking in the wrong place or looking at an ancient s&p.

Look specifically in the policies applying to all courses, assistants and ratios.

It says equivalent members from other agencies may be used as certified assistants but can only count towards ratios if in an active status.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom