Can A NAUI DM Assist A PADI Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom - I agree with the spirit of your statement. But when looking at risk mitigation, there are differences in standards that could be relevant. From a risk mitigation point of view - you can't have CA's who are unfamiliar with the agency standards participating as CA's.

From my limited experience with NAUI CA's I'll offer this example. We had a NAUI DM who was crossing over by doing a PADI IDC. The CD asked him to shadow me, and I had him do a simulated CESA briefing for another CA acting as a student, while under my direct supervision. He instructed the diver to spit out his regulator at the beginning of the CESA swim. I immediately corrected him and reminded the diver that under PADI's standards - we must retain the second stage in our mouth. He argued that under NAUI's standards - the second stage is supposed to be out of the mouth. I reminded him of PADI's standards (in the Guide to Teaching regarding retaining the second stage during the CESA) and offered two reasons why this is a prudent practice (e.g. prevent the inhalation of water, and possibly getting additional air during the ascent as pressure is reduced.)

We probably agree that the chance of this sort of minor mis-communication affecting the safety of a diver under a CA's supervision is pretty remote. But given that there COULD be a problem, it would seem to give PADI reasonable grounds to forbid the practice of using CA's from other agencies within their programs.

The particular DM that you had that experience with was dead wrong. NAUIs standards for that skill clearly state that the regulator shall remain in the mouth.

Nobody is immune from being wrong or presumptuous regardless of their chosen certifying agency. What is important to note is that one cannot presume a specific level of competence from any CA. The instructor is to ensure that misinformation is not passed and standards are not violated, which you did in your example. What you did is exactly what is expected even within the same agency.

We had a NAUI DM who was crossing over by doing a PADI IDC. The CD asked him to shadow me, and I had him do a simulated CESA briefing for another CA acting as a student, while under my direct supervision. He instructed the diver to spit out his regulator at the beginning of the CESA swim. I immediately corrected him and reminded the diver that under PADI's standards...

I don't think that's a NAUI-standards vs PADI-standards thing.

WorldVenn.png

Common Core? this deserves its own thread :p
Heh, heh, heh...
:)
Rick

FWIW, with NAUI, other agency Leaders and Instructors CAN assist with a NAUI class as long as they are in active status and count towards ratios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom