Cannister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok... i know i've seen discussions of this, but i figured this is as good place as any

who determines what is and isn't DIR?

i'm assuming there isn't an "ultimate authority" as to DIR, so it becomes
various people or organizations stating what is and isn't DIR... which
may or may not agree with each other

am i wrong?

H2Andy:

am i wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. GUE is the definitive governing body for DIRness. If only they could make up their minds from month to month to month...

e.a.e.

so what is GUE's position on the ACB? a link would be good

and why is Halcyon manufacturing non-DIR stuff?

terrasmak:
Well im trying to keep my setup as DIR as possible but here is the thing. I'm looking into picking up a cannister light . If im right it should mount on the rt side of my waist strap . Here is the problem , i have the Halcyon ACB there. If i had a larger waist it would probably be pretty easy but right now i hardly have any room. Can i just run the ACB on one side and the canister on the other. Its part of my weight right , kinda makes since to do it that way.

Hi terrasmak, the right side ACB pocket has a built in piece of webbing designed to accommodate a can light. In fact the unit I have even has a SS buckle built in, maybe yours is different.

Before I started diving steel doubles I found another solution to using the ACB pockets. A SS BP, 6# weighted STA and steel tanks were perfect for winter undies and my drysuit. During the summer I changed the weighted STA to a standard STA.

I found the ACB pockets very cumbersome even though they helped place the weight very effectively on the BP. I know they have the big H on them but if you investigate I think you'll find they're anything but DIR.

SS BP, weighted STA, and steel tanks are a much superior solution IMO. If you really want ditchable weight, wear a weight belt. :D Best of luck and safe dives,
Michael

H2Andy:
Good luck on that

H2Andy:
The million dollar question.

George may have something to say about that.

Nostromo:
Yes, you're wrong. GUE is the definitive governing body for DIRness. If only they could make up their minds from month to month to month...

e.a.e.

H2Andy:

I think the ownership has changed in connection with the move of Halcyon mfg to High Springs but Robert used to own Brownies (not remotely DIR) and formed the Halcyon line to build "mostly" DIR stuff. However, a few items, such as the ACBs were developed for people like public safety divers who had to have a rig that could be left totally assembled and thrown on. That is the excuse at least. The other reason, is they make money selling them.

A rule of thumb-if it is a goofy compromise one individual proposed to "fix" a problem, it isn't DIR.

Derek S:
Agreed. If you're diving single tank, go with a weighted STA and/or cam strap weight pockets. If you're diving doubles a V-weight should do the trick nicely.

if i need more weight on a singles rig i opt to use cam strap weight pockets. dont really like the weighted sta (pain to travel with) problem solved.

Spoon:
if i need more weight on a singles rig i opt to use cam strap weight pockets. dont really like the weighted sta (pain to travel with) problem solved.
I need both with my winter drysuit get-up... but I'm fat, and that's not DIR either :)

H2Andy:
ok... i know i've seen discussions of this, but i figured this is as good place as any

am i wrong?

in all honesty whatever works for you works for you. if it works for me whether dir or not im cool with that. i dont care if i am not 100% dir compliant.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom