Cannister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
who determines what is and isn't DIR?

Because DIR was developed by the WKPP dive-team management, and one must be DIR to participate, WKPP dictates what is and is not DIR. GUE and Extreme Exposure and Halcyon, God bless 'em, are not always DIR from an equipment perspective. And now for a brief disclaimer; no I am not DIR, not do I claim to be; I dive solo, my knife is too big, etc.

Ok no offense meant to anyone, but this is one of the things I have a problem with. This is a DIR forum. A diver asked a question and stated "Well im trying to keep my setup as DIR as possible". To me, that means they want the DIR answer, not "whatever works for you". This is how misinformation, or worse yet, apathy, is spread.

I'm new to GUE and don't claim to be anywhere near close to thinking I'm even 1/4 DIR, but I know that the system was not founded on a "whatever works, works" basis. If someone wants a DIR answer, they should post here and receive a DIR answer from a DIR diver (like Bob Sherwood or MHK). Heck, if they really want to get it from the proverbial horse's mouth, they could donate as little as $30 to GUE and join the Quest list, with it's vast archive and direct access to most of the who's who of DIR diving the world over.

Don't get me wrong, I don't sweat the small stuff. I'm not anal-retentive. I just prefer to see correct information being pointed out to divers. We have plenty of other forums where divers can easily go if they want an answer that "just works for them".

Yeah, what the Heck! I thought the famous "World Exploration Dive Team" was DIR compliant?

When you have a dive team that is out exploring the world you need to have some uniformity among members.

Just giving you a hard time man.

cmalinowski:
I need both with my winter drysuit get-up... but I'm fat, and that's not DIR either :)

Amen on that, brother. I'm workin' on it though!

Green_Manelishi:
Because DIR was developed by the WKPP dive-team
management, and one must be DIR to participate, WKPP dictates what is and is not
DIR.

wow... this is like the most cogent answer i've heard on this...

thank you

Dan Gibson:
George may have something to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo
Yes, you're wrong. GUE is the definitive governing body for DIRness. If only they could make up their minds from month to month to month...
e.a.e.

Well, you have a point there. What is GI3 up to these days?
e.a.e.

No clue! I personally don't know him and only occasionally see his posts. I just know he occasionally sets everyone straight, or so it seems.

Nostromo:
Well, you have a point there. What is GI3 up to these days?
e.a.e.

Doc Intrepid:
Making money and running his various businesses, mostly. He's also pontificating over on his 'Gavin Owners List', which makes for interesting reading sometimes. Seems Casey is doing quite a bit more with day to day at WKPP, AFAIK...

That's funny, when I think of GI3 the first word that comes into my head is "pontificate".

e.a.e.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom