Car keys and water pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but again what about the alarm when you get back in the car? What's a boot? I look at the key to our new Terrain--It is much different and I doubt a copy can be made. I will try to get one cut Thursday and see (I always like a none chip key attached under the car just in case regardless of the alarm, even with the spare I keep in my pocket).

Alarm, does it matter if it went off and you quickly turn it off- here in Brisbane we don't need an alarm, we have community spirit.
A boot(is an English word, you might not know; living so close to those dreadful americans) is the rear storage part of your vee'hickeL
Car boot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tally ho!
Damo'

Alarm, does it matter if it went off and you quickly turn it off- here in Brisbane we don't need an alarm, we have community spirit.
A boot(is an English word, you might not know; living so close to those dreadful americans) is the rear storage part of your vee'hickeL
Car boot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tally ho!
Damo'

Well yes, I don't want the alarm going off, particularly when in between dives with wetsuit on and having to get in the car and hit brakes, etc. to stop the alarm. Is boot another word for trunk? Entering that would set off the alarm as well, no (maybe not if the boot is separate from the rest of the car's interior?)?. We don't have crime to speak of here on the Eastern Shore, but Halifax is a different story. No one would care either place if an alam sounded, but it's just a hassle. I am a Merkun as well.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 06:03 PM ----------

So I found out they can't cut a spare metal non-chip key that just opens the doors for my 2013 Terrain. One of those that flips out and has no key form like keys used to have. So that's the way it will go now with new cars I guess--no way for the owner to cut his own spares. Predictable. Would be nice if spare "door only" keys could be provided when you but the car.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

Well yes, I don't want the alarm going off, particularly when in between dives with wetsuit on and having to get in the car and hit brakes, etc. to stop the alarm. Is boot another word for trunk? Entering that would set off the alarm as well, no (maybe not if the boot is separate from the rest of the car's interior?)?. We don't have crime to speak of here on the Eastern Shore, but Halifax is a different story. No one would care either place if an alam sounded, but it's just a hassle. I am a Merkun as well.

So I found out they can't cut a spare metal non-chip key that just opens the doors for my 2013 Terrain. One of those that flips out and has no key form like keys used to have. So that's the way it will go now with new cars I guess--no way for the owner to cut his own spares. Predictable. Would be nice if spare "door only" keys could be provided when you buy the car. QUOTE] Guess it has to do with valet parking guys making copies and later robbing you.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 06:08 PM ----------

So I found out they can't cut a spare metal non-chip key that just opens the doors for my 2013 Terrain. One of those that flips out and has no key form like keys used to have. So that's the way it will go now with new cars I guess--no way for the owner to cut his own spares. Predictable. Would be nice if spare "door only" keys could be provided when you but the car.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

So I found out they can't cut a spare metal non-chip key that just opens the doors for my 2013 Terrain. One of those that flips out and has no key form like keys used to have. So that's the way it will go now with new cars I guess--no way for the owner to cut his own spares. Predictable. Would be nice if spare "door only" keys could be provided when you buy the car. QUOTE] Guess it has to do with valet parking guys making copies and later robbing you.
Boy I messed up that post.

I've had people steal my dive flag and float.....
I've had condensate form in the pelican box attached to the float and get the chipped key wet. It was a rental car and I had to have the car towed to a rental lot and swap cars. 4 tanks in the trunk.:facepalm:

We had to have VW make up a metal door only key in Germany for us as apparently normal locksmiths can't cut them. We hide the alarm key in the car, lock and dive with the door only key. Even if they get in without the chip key in the ignition the engine will not start. It was pricy but not nearly as bad as replacing one of the chip/alarm keys. May be worth checking with the manufacturer:idk:

We had to have VW make up a metal door only key in Germany for us as apparently normal locksmiths can't cut them. We hide the alarm key in the car, lock and dive with the door only key. Even if they get in without the chip key in the ignition the engine will not start. It was pricy but not nearly as bad as replacing one of the chip/alarm keys. May be worth checking with the manufacturer:idk:

I have a metal door only key attached under our van as well (force of habit over the last 34 years), but don't use it to re-enter the car as I don't want the alarm to go off (thus burying the chip key in a ziplock bag). This key is for only the rarest of emergencies now.
Can't do that with our 2013 Terrain--"groovy" key--not able to copy.

Unfortunately our dive sites are very popular for divers, snorkelers, swimmers, picnickers, photo shoots, tourists etc and the chance of being able to hide a key without being seen is somewhere between remote and impossible!

I tried out the Hitch Vault over the weekend and it worked great. I wouldn't leave my key in it long term, since it would get wet and dirty very easily. However, it installed quickly and was easy to use. I had a leak in my drysuit, so I was glad not to be testing the ziplock bag in the drysuit strategy:wink:

My chipped key can be separated from its aluminium key.
The chipped key can start the car without the aluminium key, but that dont help much when its inside the locked car, which is what the aluminium key is for - locking/unlocking the doors :)

Unfortunately our dive sites are very popular for divers, snorkelers, swimmers, picnickers, photo shoots, tourists etc and the chance of being able to hide a key without being seen is somewhere between remote and impossible!

I hear ya--have to be very careful when I'm in the NY area and even at times in N. Florida. Sometimes I just have to wait a bit to hide th key. Fortunately not so in rural Nova Scotia, so I can just do it willy-nilly here.

I hear ya--have to be very careful when I'm in the NY area and even at times in N. Florida. Sometimes I just have to wait a bit to hide th key. Fortunately not so in rural Nova Scotia, so I can just do it willy-nilly here.

Well, if you wanna steal a car up in that snowbound fortress you probably have to leave behind the plane you used to get there with anyways :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom