Car keys and water pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the hitch safe with my older truck (04 Titan), which works really well.

My new truck (F150) has a keypad the door which is great, just leave the keys inside and don't worry about them.

I have an F150 with a keypad as well, As an added benefit, everyone else locks their keys in my truck and I never get left behind on dives :wink:

So nobody worries about someone taking the car if they leave the keys inside?

Worst case scenario I have insurance, but I'm comfortable believing that the people who might break into my car to steal stuff probably aren't going to steal the car. The vast majority of break ins are "smash and grab", which are quick and relatively low risk. Stealing the car is a significantly increase in risk and potential penalty. Of course there's a lot to be said for putting the key in a place that's less than obvious. My full-size van has several spots that nobody will rummage through quickly, and one that is unlikely to be found without a thorough search. I routinely leave my wallet and chipped key there. The minivan doesn't have the same hiding options, but there are still places that are much less obvious than a glove box or center console.

Most rental car companies will give you an additional valet key

That would be a very sensible solution for those going in the water. Leaving the car unlocked with nothing in it is also a good way to make sure nobody will break a window in hopes of finding something valuable. Unfortunately, the fine print in most rental contracts requires you to close all windows, lock the car and take the key(s). Along with a very long lost of other things the agreement for my Avis membership says it will violate the contract if I "leave the car and fail to remove the keys or close and lock all doors, close all windows and the trunk and the car is stolen or vandalized". Since the insurance coverage from a credit card, and probably your own auto policy, include an exemption if you violate the rental contract having the car stolen because you left a key in it could potentially cost you 20 or 30 grand.

Worst case scenario I have insurance, but I'm comfortable believing that the people who might break into my car to steal stuff probably aren't going to steal the car. The vast majority of break ins are "smash and grab", which are quick and relatively low risk. Stealing the car is a significantly increase in risk and potential penalty. Of course there's a lot to be said for putting the key in a place that's less than obvious. My full-size van has several spots that nobody will rummage through quickly, and one that is unlikely to be found without a thorough search. I routinely leave my wallet and chipped key there. The minivan doesn't have the same hiding options, but there are still places that are much less obvious than a glove box or center console.

In Florida, the penalties for a so-called "smash and grab" can be (and are) quite severe. Among other things you'd likely be charged with, you'll get hit with burglary of a conveyance (a felony), grand theft (a felony) assuming at least $300 worth of goods (e.g., cell phone, GPS, etc.) are stolen, and criminal mischief (a misdemeanor) for breaking the window. And here's a fun factoid: If one happens to steal a gun while doing this, regardless of whether or not it is usedand/or brandished in any manner, you'll likely be charged with armed burglary (a felony punishable by life). Good chances are that there will be other charges as well. The point is that simply smashing a window and grabbing someone's stuff can be incredibly painful for the thief and any of his or her accomplices. Accomplice liability is quite broad in Florida.

Even worse are keyless ignition car keys. My car has manual locks that can be used if the car battery dies so I had a chip-less door key made and take that diving with me. I lock the ignition key in the car which is harder than it sounds because the car detects that it has been left in the car and tries to not let you lock yourself out. I close the unlocked door and lock it with the door key to bypass this. When I return, opening the car manually sets off the alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car "detects" that the ignition key has been left in the car"... Wow--And some say we don't take technology too far. Next, it will say to you "You've left the keys in here A$$hole".

I've never been worried about my car being stolen, only vandalized or the stuff I was dumb enough to leave inside being taken.

Well of course you hide them inside. Besides, they'd have to get by the alarm in the first place to get in. If they did that they probably would hotwire it (can you still do that with cars today?). I always lock the chip key in the car and as I mentioned, bury/hide the spare chip key (in ziplock bag) outside the car. The "key" is two keys.

The car "detects" that the ignition key has been left in the car"... Wow--And some say we don't take technology too far. Next, it will say to you "You've left the keys in here A$$hole".
If you have a proximity key, placing it inside a metal box will shield it from the "key detector". My owners manual has a warning not to do this...

We hide the chip key inside and use a special key without the chip to lock it. The car won't start without the chip key so it has worked well. Had a chip key flood and it wrecked it.

Should have seen the car salesman's face when we insisted on seeing if we could fit our dive tub in the boot (trunk) and seeing the size and type of key before we even considered seriously looking at the other features. They just don't understand divers' priorities do they:idk:

Back
Top Bottom