Car keys and water pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had once a key for a rental car damaged by a little bit of salt water that got on it. That was expensive, not just the replacement, but having it delivered to the site. Now my solution is a realtor-style combination lockbox that I can lock around something solid like a fence post, and put the key inside.

I doubt there is an issue with a key inside a drysuit (assuming the drysuit doesn't flood).

I think the only issue (aside from flooding) would be if the key is sealed well, the compression might damage the electronics by squeezing the outer case, or cracking the outer case. However, I don't believe these keys are sealed well enough for this to happen and the inner air space would just equalize with the inside of the drysuit.

I doubt it'd be an issue even if the suit did flood ... it might get a little bit moist, but probably not enough to do significant damage.

I've accidentally washed my "clicker" twice, leaving it inside the drysuit undergarment when I put it in the washing machine. It still works ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most rental car companies will give you an additional valet key that you can swim with and/or the door code to the car, that's what I typically do when I rent a car in Hawaii, swim/dive with the valet key, hide the transponder key in a random spot inside the car before i get out at the site. But yeah, I think they charge you a minimum of $200 if you kill the rental car's key.

I use one of these on my vehicle. I give the code to my dive buddies in case they need to drive for help. Not every where we dive has cell service and if we are an hours drive from help having the key in my drysuit may not be much help.

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

My Jeep key could care less.

N

When I dove with a key that had a proximity sensor I usually hid the key somewhere behind the bumper if I was solo diving or in my buddies car if I had a buddy. My current car has a chipped key but no proximity sensor so I made a non chipped key that lives in my drysuit. I leave my actual key ring in my car and then lock the doors with the non chipped key. This them gets clipped off with a bolt snap in my drysuit pocket. I actually forgot that I had the key in my drysuit pocket for a few months and just noticed it there a few weeks back. Someone I have also thought about was one of the key safes that real estate agents use that fit around a door knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the hitch safe with my older truck (04 Titan), which works really well.

My new truck (F150) has a keypad the door which is great, just leave the keys inside and don't worry about them.

I used the hitch safe with my older truck (04 Titan), which works really well.

My new truck (F150) has a keypad the door which is great, just leave the keys inside and don't worry about them.

Perfect solution. When chip keys came out all cars should've had keypads. Not just for divers--for anyone who's locked out. In fact, keypads would've been nice even before chip keys. Obviously the technology was there for decades.

So nobody worries about someone taking the car if they leave the keys inside?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom