Car keys and water pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And some say we don't take technology too far.

It's not so much the technology, per se, as the decisions of the people who implement the technology. Cars with those "keys" have "start/stop" buttons that don't really turn the car off. They only ask the computer if it will please consent to turning the car off. That's one way to find yourself screaming down the road at 100 mph while the car that works against your efforts to slow down. There are a lot of times when the car will make a better decision than I do, but there are time when my decision shouldn't be countermanded.

Can you imagine a dive computer that tried to physically enforce a 5 minute safety stop when some emergency demanded that you surface as expeditiously as possible?

scagrotto, Yeah you're right. Like the GPS that keeps warning you to not exit when it's an Interstate with a Zillion exits. Maps and non chip keys would still work.

Ok here's the deal (pardon me if I repeat something as I didn't read everyone's reply). Also I'm a locksmith.

It all depends on the type of key you have. Saying a chip key means many things as there are different styles. Most chips in a key are sealed and simply encased in the rubber head. Technically it could be ok but it's thin material so could break. If you have a key with keyless entry or remote start in the actual key then there is a circuit board in the head and you don't want to get that wet. Some keys are clonable (and could also be what we call "horseshoe") keys which also cannot get wet. Keeping your keys in your drysuit is all good provided you don't get a leak. If you have to have your key with you then put it in one of those small water proof bags or small cases inside your drysuit. Better yet simply get a metal headed non chipped key cut that will only open your doors and hide your chipped key inside the vehicle and then it doesn't matter. If you want to spend some extra money ($100 roughly) and have a hitch on your vehicle that you aren't using you can get what's called a hitch safe which is a combination drawer that locks into your hitch and don't take anything with you underwater.

Good solutions if:
--You dive dry.
--You have $100 to spend on a hitch safe (heck, if the key gets wet you can spend the same on a new key).
--It's practical to use a non-chip, door-only metal key and practical to disarm the alarm before usuing it each time, then re-arm it.

Otherwise, back to my buried zip lock bag thing.

--You have $100 to spend on a hitch safe (heck, if the key gets wet you can spend the same on a new key).

Yes, BUT don't forget you can use is when you aren't diving too and save on open up fees when camping, at the gas station, the mall etc etc etc. I have one and it's a great place for a spare car key and house key just in case. Yes even locksmiths can get locked out lol. Now I just need a safe big enough for all my lock picks and slim jims hahahah

The Hitch Safe is only $48 on Amazon (U.S.) right now. I know things are more expensive in Canada, but that just a good excuse to pick one up when you're diving in the U.S :wink:

Yes, BUT don't forget you can use is when you aren't diving too and save on open up fees when camping, at the gas station, the mall etc etc etc. I have one and it's a great place for a spare car key and house key just in case. Yes even locksmiths can get locked out lol. Now I just need a safe big enough for all my lock picks and slim jims hahahah

I guess it's a good thing. Not sure what you mean by "open up fees when camping" (if one camps)--You mean if you lock yourself out? Other than when diving I always have the 2nd (spare) chip key safety pinned to the inside of my pants pocket, and a spare house key hidden outside the house. Well, to each his own, I'm still not spending the $48 US, but thanks for the info.

I guess it's a good thing. Not sure what you mean by "open up fees when camping" (if one camps)--You mean if you lock yourself out? Other than when diving I always have the 2nd (spare) chip key safety pinned to the inside of my pants pocket, and a spare house key hidden outside the house. Well, to each his own, I'm still not spending the $48 US, but thanks for the info.

Yes I mean locking yourself out. Many people camp and just last summer a friend locked himself out lol luckily I was there and of course didn't charge him but still the cost of a hitch safe pays for itself very quickly. :wink:

Please don't laugh, but I gotta ask (and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I couldn't find any place that seemed to fit): can water pressure affect car keys with chips in them? I have taken my key down several times (in my drysuit) before I thought that it might even remotely be a problem.:shocked2:

Get a key cut from your electronic chipped key, it will open your car boot/trunk. then lock your key and other valuables in the boot of your car.....clip the key off to your d-ring

Get a key cut from your electronic chipped key, it will open your car boot/trunk. then lock your key and other valuables in the boot of your car.....clip the key off to your d-ring

Yes, but again what about the alarm when you get back in the car? What's a boot? I look at the key to our new Terrain--It is much different and I doubt a copy can be made. I will try to get one cut Thursday and see (I always like a none chip key attached under the car just in case regardless of the alarm, even with the spare I keep in my pocket).

Back
Top Bottom