Cheap BP/W setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
ScubaL also has the Maximus which is a bp/wing rig for $249 -

If you look around you can find some other BP/Wings for under $500 - but the Maximus is the least expensive I've come across.

The wing on the scubaL Maximus is pointlessly oversized for a single tank setup. It’s probably one of the worst single tank bp/wing setup you can buy. I guess you could buy one just to get a cheap bp (and throw away the wing and replace the harness) and still have money left over for an OxyCheq wing?

Halthron:
I noticed that the NESS product doesn't come with a tank adapter. Is one required for this rig? Is there anything extra that needs to be bought that isn't included that I'm missing? Looks like a nice deal.
No tank bands either.

You can theoretically just rig a DR backplate with the Venture wing through the slots (without a STA), but the few times I dove a transplate like that I didn't care for the tank wobble.

Of course, by the time you start adding in all that stuff, you could've had a DSS single tank rig which comes complete. (Normally I'd put the "big grin" smiley here, but I'm boycotting the new goofy-looking smilies.)

hermosadive:
Ask 5thD about their "blemmished" stock before you buy. I went by their store in August looking for a Pioneer wing...$300+. They then mentioned their blemmished stock. I ended up purchasing a new Pioneer with out a power inflator for $174. When I got home bummed an Oxycheq inflator from a friend's "spare" pile for free. Nice for me.

I made a mistake in this posting. Purchased the blemished product from Extreme Exposure, not 5thD. Sorry...memory loss.

I just got some Hammerhead backplates. $99 for a SS with STA. The Aluminium plate with SS STA was $69

Hey on this "How cheap can I get a BP/W...." stuff. If you buy something OMS, Dive Rite, that "H" brand, or DSS, the thing is going to last until you're a geezer, or in my case, since I'm already a geezer, a real old geezer.
You go around scounging up cheap stuff, juryrigging - whatever - sooner or later you're going to have to upgrade so why not just Buy It Once???
Pretty much no matter brand you get, it will work just fine. Maybe you drop another $100 on your setup, but you won't have to upgrade later.
It's all good. Do I have personal preferences? Of course. But I dive all the time with a combination of Dive Rite, OMS, Halcyon, Oxycheq, and Abyss stuff. Stick with the good stuff and you'll do just fine.

StSomewhere:
No tank bands either.
Yep, missed that.

StSomewhere:
(Normally I'd put the "big grin" smiley here, but I'm boycotting the new goofy-looking smilies.)
Totally understandable.

Below some of my findings, some of which were already mentioned.
Depending on your preferences, there should be something in for you.

I also had a Oceanic Shute. Used it for some time. Really not bad, but WAY too heavy for travel, even worse when wet.
And I learned to appreciate the lack of clutter in a BP/W.

1. DSS Hogarthian setup, you can get it for <400$ with the polymer backplate which is great if you (at least sometimes) fly to your destinations and look for light weight. That's what I went for, because I liked the size and low weight and replacable bladder.
Was a close call with 3. below.

2. above + Hammerhead backplate if you ALSO dive cold water/local and want to save some compared to the DSS steel BP.

3. Oxycheq single or signature wing, at ebay from Samishdivers. They have various packages at great prices, good service, and also sell you individual wings at much better price than advertised at Oxycheq.com (ask!).
Cheapest setup I could find: Oxycheq single wing from Samish (209.-) plus OMS alu BP from Leisurepro (65.-) plus 2 Tankstraps from ebay (40.-) plus webbing and metal parts from any of 5. below (<40.-)

4. Famous name special at NESS (northwestscubasupply.com) plus tank straps from ebay (there is one place that sells decent straps for 14.- each)

5. bits and pieces for harness, snaps, etc: NESS, Diveritexpress.com, reefscuba.com, Leisurepro for OMS stuff...

I recommend you first try the cheap and simple Hogarthian harness. It really works well. Although it doesn't look as comfortable as any of the comfort harnesses, it really is unless you have to walk a mile. And it's unbeatable for flexibility, price, robustness, low clutter. If you don't like it, it's a very small investment and you can always "upgrade".

One more thing: I found that in many cases the hoses delivered with standard setups are way too long, causing large loops over your head. Bad for drag and entanglement.
Make sure you get as short as possible hoses, request an exchange from the vendor as need be.

Regards, d-s-f

Wow this is more confusing than I originally thought - I didn't realize bp/w setups are double tank by default, and all the extra parts you need (sta, tank straps etc). The halcyon pioneer is looking really good; it's a whole system designed for diving a single tank, and at $485 not blowing my budget too bad. My only concern is the wing only has 37# of lift, is that enough for cold water/drysuit diving?
-Brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom