Cheap BP/W setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii:
Wow this is more confusing than I originally thought - I didn't realize bp/w setups are double tank by default, and all the extra parts you need (sta, tank straps etc). The halcyon pioneer is looking really good; it's a whole system designed for diving a single tank, and at $485 not blowing my budget too bad. My only concern is the wing only has 37# of lift, is that enough for cold water/drysuit diving?
-Brett

More than enough

BAUE What size wing...

Who knows if it can be a perfect value set up BP/W for the double? Have ever tried it?:05:

Vie:
The wing on the scubaL Maximus is pointlessly oversized for a single tank setup. It’s probably one of the worst single tank bp/wing setup you can buy. I guess you could buy one just to get a cheap bp (and throw away the wing and replace the harness) and still have money left over for an OxyCheq wing?

zbskii:
I'm looking to purchace my first set of gear; I was thinking of:
- Oceanic Chute III (~$400)
- Scuba L Orion (~$200)
- Backplate/Wing??

The oceanic is nice; lifetime warranty and it can hold 30+ lbs of weight.
The Orion looks almost as good as the Chute at half the price. All the backplate setups I've seen are $500+ I'd really rather not spend more than $400 on my bc. Is there any cheaper options? Should I just stick to a regular BC if I'm just starting out?
-Brett

BP/W advocates on this board are generally 1) DIR, or 2) Tech.

IMO if you are NOT going to be diving doubles, or have goals of getting DIR training, there is not a huge need to dive a BP/W setup.

My buddy recently purchased, and than sold a REAL nice BP/W setup (Halcyon). He found a great deal, and decided that he would dive it, and see if he was really that fond of the setup. He indicated it dove great, but was MUCH less comfortable out of the water.

He also did not feel that it dove all that much better than his Back Inflate Seaquest Balance.

If you are planning on going Tech, the BP/W setup has some definate appeal. However there are other options for tech diving that also work well, like the DiveRight TransPac.

Good luck with the decision.

RonFrank:
He indicated it dove great, but was MUCH less comfortable out of the water.

... also where do you want to be more comfortable in the under the water or out of the water?

RonFrank:
BP/W advocates on this board are generally 1) DIR, or 2) Tech.

I'm neither...

RonFrank:
IMO if you are NOT going to be diving doubles, or have goals of getting DIR training, there is not a huge need to dive a BP/W setup.

IMO, a BP/wing offers some huge advantages over the typical BC for regular open water single tank diving...interest in DIR is not required.

RonFrank:
My buddy recently purchased, and than sold a REAL nice BP/W setup (Halcyon). He found a great deal, and decided that he would dive it, and see if he was really that fond of the setup. He indicated it dove great, but was MUCH less comfortable out of the water.He also did not feel that it dove all that much better than his Back Inflate Seaquest Balance.

I have dived for years with a Balance...with a Chute 3...and with BP/wings...and even though they all work wonderfully
IMO, the BP/wings dives MUCH sweeter.

Oh...mine is comfortable on land...not that that matters much...it is, after all, for underwater use. But I have had occasion to don my rig LONG before the dive and it feels just fine...MAYBE even more comfortable than a standard BC.

I need to switch between doubles and singles and I find having everything on 11" centers makes swapping out gear trivial. Adding a single tank adapter to my single tanks gets them on the 11" mounting so I dont mind using STAs. However, STAs cost way too much, so I just make my own. I suspect manufacturers/distributors try to make up for lower profits on backplates through higher profit margins on single tank adapters. Pain to make, so I don't advocate this, and I don't make them to sell.
I'm not tech or DIR, DIO (maybe) solo is closer to the mark. I just need to be able to switch gear out, I don't find back plates to be uncomfortable in or out of the water, and I wish I would have done that from the beginning. BP/W setups offer modularity and consequently facilitate transitioning to different diving conditions: dry suit, wet suit, no suit, this bladder or that bladder, this tank or that tank, while still keeping the diver interface (harness and backplate) similar.
They cost about the same upfront, and can be cheaper in the long run if you plan on adding options (cold/colder water diving, longer/deeper diving, ...)
I also dive a Zeagle Ranger (a soft back version of a bp/w setup), and overall its a very nice solution. Still, I would rather have just bought a bp/w if I could do it over. I just moved over to BP/W setupt from the Zeagle (and a jacket/bp before that), so I have less experience with BP/W than without BP/W.
P.S. If you want a cheap single tank solution, something like an oxycheq signature bladder (30# or 50# lift) at a cost of about $250 mounted between an old style plastic backplate (1970's jacket bc backplate) and tank, rigged with a hogarthian harness makes an awesome single tank setup imho. Super comfortable and you can upgrade to a real bp later if you go doubles, and the plastic bp aren't hard to find for free (unless, of course, you are looking). I have a setup like that rigged hogarthian style with super soft nylon cargo restraint webbing, 30# bladder, and it is super comfortable for warm water diving. Very "old school": I use it when diving with my vintage gear even though it is more modern with the inclusion of the rear bladder (looks way cool though, from a minimalist perspective, and is VERY practical). I would trust it as a modern single tank solution as well (with good upgrade potential).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom