Cheapest place in Dallas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So in answer to the original poster's question the cheapest is still Arlington Scuba and We-B- Divin runs 2nd if you purchase gear from them.

Scuba is the only sport that requires you learn how to use
“life support gear.”

Go interview a few shops- ask questions.
Ask if books are included in the price.
Ask if they charge for the gear over the checkout weekend.
(You will find that the some people will charge you in other areas.)

Think of it more like joining an adventure club- you will be spending time with these people, and they will be mentoring you into the diving world. There’s a lot of ground to cover and a lot of trust.

As an example- I have been on vacation with my dive group, camping, diving, out to meals (out of town), camp fires, practical jokes, holidays, spent time with my family, heck they might just become close friends. Along the way you spend money, you buy gear and the memories last a lifetime.

Just my humble opinion.
Andrew

Andrew is right, you have to find out about all the costs, not just the upfront sticker price. A lot of times the "cheap" place ends up costing as much or more - they just get it from you on the back end.

Don't just look for the cheapest, at the same time you can't just equate the highest price with highest quality, either. Focus on the instructors, that's what it's all about.

Also, keep an eye out with PADI for the drive through certs. Make sure you get some class time in, and not just the one weekend dive crash course. Would you go to a driving school that takes 2 days to teach you to drive, or a flight school that teaches you to fly in 2 days?

And echo what most here have said, cheaper isn't always better espiecally when you put yourself on life support on purpose, cheap fast instruction is the kind I warn people to stay away from.

Laser Monkey--

I like a bargain as well as the next person, but didn't have the urge to go that route when I started scuba diving.

Best advice is to talk to dive shops and their instructors. Does the shop have a responsible approach to scuba instruction? Is the staff knowledgeable about their equipment? Do they inspire confidence in you? Are you comfortable talking with them and do they take time to answer your questions?

That's what I'd look for when signing up for classes.

I would agree with everyone here, go to the dive shop talk to the ppl there and see how comfortable you feel. Nobody has mentiond about International Scuba in Carrollton, I got certified with them it was really good experience. I had bought my personal gear from ScubaToys. Also look for 5- Star PADI place since they have their own pool and mostly heated.
Lot of other places are cheap but then rent pool from other ppl and they schedule classes on availability of that pool.
If you decied to go to International Scuba both Patti and Brian are cool, talk to either one of them.

welcome to scuba laser. Great previous advice. Your open water should be the beginning of instruction on your road to being a diver not the final one... Find a center with an instuctor you can relate with and makes the training fun and follow the advice previously given

I'd also like to chime in and tell you that you do not have to get a Padi certification. Any agency will get you a card and allow you to dive. I started out in Padi, and became a Padi instructor, but as the years went on, their course curriculum made some changes that I personally was not happy with... so I crossed over to Naui.

At our shop, we have a lot of padi instructors as well.... but we do Naui classes most all the time. They are a little more challenging, a bit more education as far as the physics and physiology, a little more challenging swim test, more snorkeling exercises, plus you will do a rescue drill that is not the easiest to accomplish, but it was because of these differences that I decided to teach Naui courses.

But as most have said here, I would not look at the price. In fact, some make that confusing as they will give you a price, then you buy over priced gear, or have to pay for books, or pay rental fees when it's time for checkout dives, etc... so make sure if working off price - look at apples and apples.

I also would not look at the acronym on the card. I'd go look at multiple stores and see which one works best for you. Look at their pool. Check out their class room, look at the gear you will use, look at the gear available to purchase, then make an informed decision based on what is the most comfortable for you.

Obviously, I invite you down to visit our shop, but also would tell you to check with others as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom