Choosing a bc is a pain.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see where Dive Express is having a sale on the DiveRite Transpac XT with a Wing and Weight Pockets for $499 TransPac Harness by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Great discussion :) I am looking to purchase my first BP/W or a BCD for that matter and I am leaning toward BP/W. Would the TransPac XP make a good choice for starters? I don't foresee doing double tanks for a while. I do hope to do both tropical and cold waters. The link provided has a lot of options that I have no idea about. Perhaps you guys could explain some differences and make a recommendation?

My weight hovers around 250 lbs so I imagine I need my harness to be XL. Would you agree? All the BCD I wore were always XL.

More importantly, what weight capacity wing should I get? 25lbs? 35lbs? 45lbs? Water temperature permitting, I will dive with a wetsuit at the most.

What kind of weight system should I pick? 16 or 32 pounds?

What's Rite Source and why does it cost $99?

Any advise will be much appreciated :) Thank you!

I decided to go with the DSS bp/w setup. I was thinking of the oxycheq setup because it was $100 cheaper, but I hear their customer service is nonexistent. I would rather support the company that is willing to help me out with anything from setup to repairs.

I decided to go with the DSS bp/w setup. I was thinking of the oxycheq setup because it was $100 cheaper, but I hear their customer service is nonexistent. I would rather support the company that is willing to help me out with anything from setup to repairs.

Good call. The owner of DSS is a frequent Scubaboard contributor, and I have had good experience with their support.

Seeing as this thread has taken a BP/W turn, I'll add a question to the subject.

It seems that with Jacket BCs the big names are pretty well defined. It was pretty easy to find a quality jacket BC (for me at least) after doing a little bit of research. However, I'm having a hard time doing the same for a BP/Wing setup. My buddy dives one, loves it, but it's a Halcyon rig and is insanely expensive. I've had a hard time finding alternative brands that offer a good product. At the risk of sounding ignorant...who are the 'Big 3' of BP/Wing-landia? So far I've found DiveRite, OMS and Hollis, but can't find any solid reviews of any of their BCs and equipment geared towards tech divers in general. Who sells really good stuff? Who sells junk? Should I stick with one brand or mix/match plates, wings and other bits? So many questions, and the answers seem to be difficult to find (for me, at least).

I see the allure and common sense of a BP/Wing setup and would like to move to one eventually, when money permits. It's just really hard to take that first step and make a purchase decision.

Just depends on what you really want. All of this is based on what reviews I've read, not personal use of these bc's. If you want a cheap, but quality bc dive rite is what I've found to be the best. DSS is more expensive, but is great with customer service. I pm'ed Tobin and talked with him about exactly what I needed. Both of those are under 500 for a complete setup. I looked around for two weeks trying to decide what I wanted.

Look around the used gear sites and shows. One of our club members picked up a Halcyon backplate with the webbing, single tank adapter, insert weight, SMB holder, and an Eclipse wing - used but in near new condition -for $325 at the Scuba flea market in Toms River last weekend...

Look around the used gear sites and shows. One of our club members picked up a Halcyon backplate with the webbing, single tank adapter, insert weight, SMB holder, and an Eclipse wing - used but in near new condition -for $325 at the Scuba flea market in Toms River last weekend...

Were you there? Should have come over and said hello!

:d

Were you there? Should have come over and said hello!

:d

Yup! Sorry I missed you.

I was about to buy the Halcyon rig myself (even though I have one, such a deal!).

But I found one of our new members who was buying his first BC and I told him that he shouldn't let this one go...

I got a few books, one of my buddies got a nice set of doubles and another one got a dry suit. Fun day!

Seeing as this thread has taken a BP/W turn, I'll add a question to the subject.

It seems that with Jacket BCs the big names are pretty well defined. It was pretty easy to find a quality jacket BC (for me at least) after doing a little bit of research. However, I'm having a hard time doing the same for a BP/Wing setup. My buddy dives one, loves it, but it's a Halcyon rig and is insanely expensive. I've had a hard time finding alternative brands that offer a good product. At the risk of sounding ignorant...who are the 'Big 3' of BP/Wing-landia? So far I've found DiveRite, OMS and Hollis, but can't find any solid reviews of any of their BCs and equipment geared towards tech divers in general. Who sells really good stuff? Who sells junk? Should I stick with one brand or mix/match plates, wings and other bits? So many questions, and the answers seem to be difficult to find (for me, at least).

I see the allure and common sense of a BP/Wing setup and would like to move to one eventually, when money permits. It's just really hard to take that first step and make a purchase decision.

What is your objective? If you want low price then mix and match. Leisurepro has a Hollis wing on sale for $200, pair it with a cheap Storm backplate and harness from Amazon and you can have a setup for $270.00. If you want to go even cheaper then Leisurepro has the XS wing for $149.00 and Piranha Dive Manufacturing has the ED wing for $179.00. You will also need some cambands. They go for around $30 on up for a set.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2013 at 03:48 AM ----------

Oxycheq asks that you to contact your dealer for support and have the dealer contact them. I am sure if you dig around Scubaboard you will find complaints for just about every vendor that makes scuba gear. Oxycheq wings are very robust, many divers use them and like them.

Oxycheq asks that you to contact your dealer for support and have the dealer contact them. I am sure if you dig around Scubaboard you will find complaints for just about every vendor that makes scuba gear. Oxycheq wings are very robust, many divers use them and like them.
I've heard that they want you to deal with the distributor and I can understand that. But, I would rather deal directly with the supplier. Also the wings are supposed to be one of the best, but I've heard that some of their other products aren't that good. All of this is just reading reviews of what others have said as I have not had anything by oxycheq.

Back
Top Bottom