Choosing a new reg - adjustable vs non-adjustable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 50 ft in 80F water you won't notice much difference between a well adjusted entry level reg like the SP MK2/R190 and a high performance reg. So, you might consider either sticking it out with your current reg and maybe borrowing or renting something higher performance to see for yourself how much if any difference it makes. I take it you want 2 HP ports so you can have a wireless AI computer and SPG?

If I were looking for something good and inexpensive these days, I'd go for a SP MK16/S550, which should be available for not much more than $200-250 because it's been discontinued. If you could find one with a G250 2nd stage, all the better.

Given he didn't like the way the Alpha 8 breathed as he described, any current SP reg would be in the same camp.

cerich:
Given he didn't like the way the Alpha 8 breathed as he described, any current SP reg would be in the same camp.

Thanks, this is precisely the kind of feedback I am looking for.

IMO the alpha 8 felt like it was "forcing" air on me compared to my old reg, making me very conscious of my buoyancy and had me concentrating on my breathing too much.

And yes - I want 2 HP ports so I can go wireless plus one of those little 1/2" pony pressure gauges on my 1st stage.

Flot:
And yes - I want 2 HP ports so I can go wireless plus one of those little 1/2" pony pressure gauges on my 1st stage.

You do realize that if you do this, if your wireless fails your backup will be useless to you underwater because you won't be able to see it?

Flot:
IMO the alpha 8 felt like it was "forcing" air on me compared to my old reg, making me very conscious of my buoyancy and had me concentrating on my breathing too much.

QUOTE]

Many regs have what you don't like and 90% of high performance regs, most much more so than the Alpha 8. I actually am used to it and prefer that feeling over the "gentle" approach.

PerroneFord:
You do realize that if you do this, if your wireless fails your backup will be useless to you underwater because you won't be able to see it?

Two things I like about the tiny pressure gauge - 1) don't need to power up/sync your computer to check your tank pressure quickly. 2) Even in a failure, my BUDDY will be able to read my air.

Most of my dives are very safe/shallow and generally speaking I can outlast my buddies at least by a couple hundred PSI. However I like the idea that even in the case of an electronics issue, the dive isn't necessarily lost. (I have a buddy with a hoseless computer and he has had 2 bad dives out of 10 with me due to a battery issue and once forgetting to bring his computer entirely)

Flot:
Two things I like about the tiny pressure gauge - 1) don't need to power up/sync your computer to check your tank pressure quickly. 2) Even in a failure, my BUDDY will be able to read my air.

Most of my dives are very safe/shallow and generally speaking I can outlast my buddies at least by a couple hundred PSI. However I like the idea that even in the case of an electronics issue, the dive isn't necessarily lost. (I have a buddy with a hoseless computer and he has had 2 bad dives out of 10 with me due to a battery issue and once forgetting to bring his computer entirely)

So why not just attach an SPG that you can actually READ when you're underwater. This gives you all the same advantages, with none of the drawbacks.

By the way, relying on the fact your buddy will be able to read your gauge is probably not good. He may be occupied taking a picture, he may be lost, he may lose his mask, he may get eaten by a shark... who knows. The tank contents is the ONLY crucial piece of diving information that has no redundancy. Please think of putting a mechanical gauge on it that you can read for yourself underwater.

Best of luck.

PerroneFord:
So why not just attach an SPG that you can actually READ when you're underwater. This gives you all the same advantages, with none of the drawbacks.

Really! I wouldn't use one on my deco bottle as they are really hard to read under water. Having your buddy try to read a pony gauge on the back of your neck is an invitation to a CF.

PerroneFord:
By the way, relying on the fact your buddy will be able to read your gauge is probably not good. The tank contents is the ONLY crucial piece of diving information that has no redundancy.

Clearly this has diverged from my original thread but I will revive it when I can afford a hoseless computer. :) Either way, I figure if I am spending the $ on a new reg, I should get one with two HP ports to be a little more future-proof.

Flot:
Again, my current setup is fine - the reg I did not like was the Oceanic Alpha 8, which I tried just because it was so damn cheap, but wasn't happy with... I'm really just wondering if that was the oddball, or if non-adjustable regs are something I'd have to get used to after having an adjustable one.

I agree with cerich that if the Alpha 8 delivers too much air for you then the more expensive regs out there will dliver way too much.

I personally like the Oceanic line of equipment for a few reasons. Its a US company, good support, good products across the board, and the most important one is that my two favorite LDS' are big Oceanic dealers. I have an Oceanic Delta 3 setup and (currently) prefer the sensation of getting too much air. As my diving skills mature, that may change. But as an adjustable reg I can dial it back as needed.

My GF just bought an Oceanic GT3 setup which as I understand is just like mine, but a different year model. It was fairly inexpensive and comparable pricewise to the Alpha 8, but the second stage is fully adjustable and you can dial it in to breathe however you want. I can definitely dial my Delta 3 to deliver less air that my Alpha 8 octo, but I personally don't want to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom