Classes using dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with not understanding tables and relying entirely on your computer is that you're pretty much screwed for subsequent dives if your computer dies during or just before a dive.

If you understand the tables and haven't gone into a deco obligation (according to the tables) on your first dive of the day, you can still run the tables and dive a second dive. If you don't know how to use the tables then you're stuck on the boat/shore while your buddies go diving.

This is not entirely true.

While the recommendation is to sit out - it is not required. If you're diving within recreational limits and the computer problem is simple battery replacement - then replace the battery and get back to diving. Just be smart about it.

The other option and the one that most experienced divers choose is to dive with redundancy - in this case two computers. You do not have to break the bank to own two computers. Perfectly good pre-owned computers are available all over the internet and in local shops selling used gear for under $200... in some cases much less.

Buy a primary you like and a cheap second so you can avoid any worries.

Wear two computers. problem solved.

How many recreational divers wear two computers? None in the instances I've seen where computers have died.

This is not entirely true.

While the recommendation is to sit out - it is not required. If you're diving within recreational limits and the computer problem is simple battery replacement - then replace the battery and get back to diving. Just be smart about it.

The other option and the one that most experienced divers choose is to dive with redundancy - in this case two computers. You do not have to break the bank to own two computers. Perfectly good pre-owned computers are available all over the internet and in local shops selling used gear for under $200... in some cases much less.

Buy a primary you like and a cheap second so you can avoid any worries.

Unfortunately, there are divers that consistently fail to plan ahead and do not bring spare batteries or secondary computers, even after having previous dives cancelled due to computer failures. The problem is still solved with tables.

Tables have become obsolete - along with the PADI wheel. PADI is following SDI into the modern world with the allowance of Dive Computer Training in place of tables...

Some of us believe that the decompression algorthim in just about every computer is archaic and obsolete.

I wear two computers (running the same algorythm) on every dive. But I like to first plan the dive with tables. On deeper dives I cut tables from V-planner and use the computers as backup. Oh and I have a set of DCIEM Sport tables with me as well!

It's amazing that out of everyone here, only two people replied to the OP's question. Where are you guys getting the idea that he needs instruction on them when he's saying he's fine, or arguing about the validity of tables vs. computer? Let's take a break off of our high horses and answer the guys question. And some of you are "instructors?" Give me a break and work on some very basic reading comprehension.

To the OP....I only did my OW with PADI(we used tables), but for what it's worth my SSI instructors(AOW and nitrox) all taught tables but didn't require you to use them for the execution of the dive. They just wanted to make sure we knew how to use them for planning and execution, but using a computer was encouraged for the execution of the dive.

Now was that so hard?

Are there any classes requiring the use of dive tables beyond the basic class and the nitrox class?

I have heard PADI is thinking of dropping dive tables and allowing instruction with computers. Too late for me.

I have no aspiration to be a divemaster or instructor, but would like to take some more classes. I understand the science well, but did not do well with dive tables, and it seems pointless frustration, given the use of computers.

Have I gotten past the dive table requirements in classes?

Yes. Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures require quit a bit of table use.

It's an Internet forum. Why would we read the OPs question when we can go off on a tangent and proselytise? :D

Some of us believe that the decompression algorthim in just about every computer is archaic and obsolete.

Some of us believe in the tooth fairy.

It's amazing that out of everyone here, only two people replied to the OP's question. Where are you guys getting the idea that he needs instruction on them when he's saying he's fine, or arguing about the validity of tables vs. computer? Let's take a break off of our high horses and answer the guys question. And some of you are "instructors?" Give me a break and work on some very basic reading comprehension.

To the OP....I only did my OW with PADI(we used tables), but for what it's worth my SSI instructors(AOW and nitrox) all taught tables but didn't require you to use them for the execution of the dive. They just wanted to make sure we knew how to use them for planning and execution, but using a computer was encouraged for the execution of the dive.

Now was that so hard?

The OP asked about tables in classes, not if tables were not required for the execution of the dive.

I answered his question about what I knew about PADI courses, but encouraged him to learn tables.

I cared enough that if PMed, I would have taken time to run a tables class over the phone for free.

If caring places me on a "high horse" then I'll live with the conceit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom