Classes using dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Scuba Toys has a table tutor that you can download?

It seems to me the OP isn't looking to learn to effectivly use the tables. He wants to use his computer which will plan a dive for right this minute but not tell him how long he needs to be out of the water before his next dive.

Posted via Mobile Device

It seems to me the OP isn't looking to learn to effectivly use the tables. He wants to use his computer which will plan a dive for right this minute but not tell him how long he needs to be out of the water before his next dive.

Posted via Mobile Device

Now you're being a richard. ***, trying to bring some logic and sense into the thread? :D

It's amazing that out of everyone here, only two people replied to the OP's question. Where are you guys getting the idea that he needs instruction on them when he's saying he's fine, or arguing about the validity of tables vs. computer? Let's take a break off of our high horses and answer the guys question. And some of you are "instructors?" Give me a break and work on some very basic reading comprehension.

To the OP....I only did my OW with PADI(we used tables), but for what it's worth my SSI instructors(AOW and nitrox) all taught tables but didn't require you to use them for the execution of the dive. They just wanted to make sure we knew how to use them for planning and execution, but using a computer was encouraged for the execution of the dive.

Now was that so hard?

Thank you....

Some of us believe that the decompression algorthim in just about every computer is archaic and obsolete.

However, the tables that are being referred to are just as archaic in that the computers and tables being referred to here all use Buhlmann's algorithm (for the most part).

So while what you say is arguably true ...it's not pertinent to this topic. You are arguing that one should know how to use tables (as would I) but computers are just as valid (or not) as the tables.

Actually, the NDL figures for all algorithms are determined mainly by trial data. Beyond that into the longer deco range it's true that there are better algorithms.

Last edited:
No matter which computer or table you use, the algorithms they are based upon are only as good as the real world data that was used to design the algorithms they use. To my knowledge, nobody has devoted any real effort in the last 20 years to verifying the empirical data used to create the tables past the original research done to create the RDP. Dive computers leveraged off this information, and the data from the tables in order to create their internal algorithms.

In the DAN and BSAC accident yearly reports, there are very few cases of DCS reported every year. Of the ones that are reported, most seem to fall into either the tech/deco side of things, or the recreational diver that didn't follow/didn't have a proper plan to avoid DCS. As far as the goal of preventing DCS goes, it appears that the RDP and computers are both very effective.

Tables are great for a simple to use and carry, time proven method of calculating deco. They give you everything you need to plan a simple dive at a very low cost. They add conservatism by counting your dive as all being completed to the max depth.

Computers have been proven equally as reliable as tables, although much more expensive. They do a great job at applying an algorithm to an exact dive profile. This lacks the inherent conservatism of tables, but most dive computers seem to make up for it by including more conservatism in the algorithm itself.

About half of my dives to date have been with computers, and the other half with tables. I've never been bent. I've suffered from user error twice while diving a computer. I've never planned a dive wrong when using tables. The most common error on tables is ending up with a pressure group off one way or the other. Not that big of a deal in the big picture. The most common error with Dive computers seems to be having the wrong O2 %. This has potentially greater repercussions when O2 Toxicity concerns are taken into account if someone is relying solely on their computer and not thinking about MOD, etc on their own.

I think the tables are a great learning tool even for divers who choose to use tables.

I also think tables are a viable solution for any diver. While there are an infinite number of profiles possible, the actual profiles most divers actually dive tends to fall into a very manageable set. By identifying the most common profiles you do, you can cut a set of custom tables rather easily which are very simple to use for 99% of your dives. You can only do this if you really understand the tables, though.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom