Classes using dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, now lets get into an argument...

Trace I think you did a good thing. :)

It is my understanding that dive computers can be used for planning. Is that not correct?.

The computers I use and the others I have seen are only good for planning if you are going to start your subsequent dive NOW. I have yet to see one that will allow a diver to plan a future subsequent dive with surface interval as a variable. It is a limitation that is not too hard to live with. Or you can use tables to make an estimate but, generally, your status in your computer does not map well into table pressure groups.

Trace,

Thanks for the reference to Decompression Workbook: A Simplified Guide to Understanding Decompression Problems (Diving & Snorkeling Guides) It's on order! I have always preferred tables.

It seems this has been a busy topic on various forums today. My reservations for using the computer:

1) Training is complicated by the huge variety of computers. Within PADI, there is only one RDP
2) User Manuals read like stereo instructions. They are very difficult to read and understand.
3) Users strap on the computer without really understanding how they work and somehow feel safe.
4) The displays are small and the warning flags are even smaller. Where they should have a big flashing DECO STOP, they have a little bitty icon.
5) Other than the LiquiVision X1, most (all) are hard to read underwater. Particularly for folks that need reading glasses.

I had the Dive Rite Nitek Duo and pretty much understood how to use it. My wife swapped me for her Aladin Prime because she couldn't get through the manual. Three button computers are just easier to use.

Richard

Who are you calling a RICHARD? :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Are there any classes requiring the use of dive tables beyond the basic class and the nitrox class?

I have heard PADI is thinking of dropping dive tables and allowing instruction with computers. Too late for me.

I have no aspiration to be a divemaster or instructor, but would like to take some more classes. I understand the science well, but did not do well with dive tables, and it seems pointless frustration, given the use of computers.

Have I gotten past the dive table requirements in classes?

I think Scuba Toys has a table tutor that you can download?

Computers vs. Tables.......is that kind of like Calculators vs. learning to do math........The idea with teaching tables and theory is that you learn something useful even though you ultimately obtain a computer to perform the calculations for you.....why do kids in school learn to add, multiply and divide instead of just showing them how to hit the keys on their calculator----becasue it's important information you need regardless of how you implement its use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom