Close to Dallas cool dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have discovered again that scuba is not a "hey, I'm off work the next two days, I'll go dive" sport. Not easy to find a place that's close, relatively cheap, that you can dive by yourself. It just requires more planning and $$$ than I have right now. So I'll wait till weekend and go to Clear Springs or Athens Saturday.

Yep, spur-of-the-moment diving requires you own your own gear, your own tanks, a way to get them filled any time you want (so they can be ready when you are), and access to "public" open diving places that won't restrict solo diving.

For most of us who live inland, access is the biggest restriction. I have to drive 4 hours to make a dive, and it will probably be a crappy vis dive. This hasn't stopped me from getting up early and driving so that I make a couple dives and be back home that evening. You have to want it more out here.

That's true. I'm heading to Clear Springs Scuba Park now. Lucky it's only a little over an hour drive, so I can usually get 4 dives in a day. Not much to see, but getting wet is getting wet!

I was just there yesterday, conditions are actually pretty good. For things to see, go to the far end of lake, right off the blue barge, there is the plane. Get into water off the blue dock/barge, curve a little to left, and white skinny buoy marks the plane location. It's awesome. Viz isn't bad, saw more fish than usual yesterday there too.

The local diving sucks. Its fun to do new sites, but once you have done them a few times you realize the limits. The reason I do local dives is to keep in practice and insure your gear is all in good shape so you have great dives when you travel to the ocean. There is nothing worse than spending days and dollars for a special dive and then having you gear give you issues or spend time dialing in your trim and skills because you have not dived for awhile.

I agree with fire_diver, sometimes you have to want it, CCSP is just over an hour from my house, it could be a lot lot worse drive. Sunny day, pretty good viz, I'll take that any day. Of course it will be 99 today :)

CCSP:
Exact GPS coordinates of blue doc right next to plane:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:32.792336,-96.148560

Tank rental $13, or just air fillup is $8.

Solar noon today: 1:31pm

17' depth was 85 F, 25' depth was 81-82 F

uploadfromtaptalk1407600272147.jpg

~ Lake Broken Bow, Oklahoma ~ is about as cool as you'll get within 250 miles of DFW. I've done over 100 dives there over the last 10 years. You can do dives to 180+ feet deep or shallow, cliffs, trees, spear fishing, shore, boat.... Take your pick.
Cool place... Do a web search "scuba Frank Poye" or "scuba broken bow" and you'll find photos, web pages and a few recent videos from
a few weeks ago too on YouTube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom