cold girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being that I happen to be one of those "sub-human freaks of nature" that never gets cold (Colorado and Montana lakes in a wetsuit, sleep with the windows open and heat off in our bedroom all year, only start really sleeping well when ice starts to form on my mustache), I only have suggestions.

What about trying a thin wetsuit inside your drysuit? Something like a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm or other super stretch in the 2-3mm range. It should still provide the freedom of movement but may keep the heat trapped in better.

R_Deluca:
It's because I eat steak! :jaws:

Its always because im a vegetarian

Oh, a VEGETARIAN!

You should have explained that. Little known fact - very few vegetarians dive. Even in warm tropical climates. The body processes meat and turns it into heat energy, and so far, while the vegetarian diet may or may not be healthy for you, the fact is it won't transfer into heat energy. The human body takes little protein bits called bisoflavones and burns them off into heat. These are completely lacking in other protein substitutes, such as peanut butter or tofu.

This theory is best explained in Dussault's "Carnivore vs. Herbivore" series of textbooks, which can be found in any third grade classroom in Sierra Leone. This is why most Inuit peoples eat meat exclusively, while most vegetarian cultures live along the earth's equator.

So - long story short... as long as you just keep eating veggies, you can layer up in 14 layers and a completely redundant drysuit, but you'll still shiver.

:D

Boogie711:
Oh, a VEGETARIAN!

You should have explained that. Little known fact - very few vegetarians dive. Even in warm tropical climates. The body processes meat and turns it into heat energy, and so far, while the vegetarian diet may or may not be healthy for you, the fact is it won't transfer into heat energy. The human body takes little protein bits called bisoflavones and burns them off into heat. These are completely lacking in other protein substitutes, such as peanut butter or tofu.

This theory is best explained in Dussault's "Carnivore vs. Herbivore" series of textbooks, which can be found in any third grade classroom in Sierra Leone. This is why most Inuit peoples eat meat exclusively, while most vegetarian cultures live along the earth's equator.

So - long story short... as long as you just keep eating veggies, you can layer up in 14 layers and a completely redundant drysuit, but you'll still shiver.

Wow

Boogie711:
Oh, a VEGETARIAN!

Have you ever been to somewhere that the Inuit live?
I think their choice of diet is far more driven by what is available. than by any 'choice' factor.

Only relatively rich people in modern cultures really choose their diet.

pipedope:
Have you ever been to somewhere that the Inuit live?

Michael - I'm Canadian, and it's only July. You should realize this I'm typing this on my laptop in my igloo right now. I'm using a frozen piece of whale blubber for a coffee table.

bubblemaker20:
Im a chick who is always cold so i was told to buy weezle underwear for my dry suit so i did and i still get so cold. I currently wear footed sleeper pajamas under my underwear but i still get so cold fast. Does anyone have any advise to help keep warm until i can get new underwear? Thanks.

Buy BARE CT-200 undergarments from DiveTank.com They guarantee you won't get cold or they will refund your money within 60 days. Plus they throw in a free two piece fleece underliner with purchase. Only $189 US.

Boogie711:
Michael - I'm Canadian, and it's only July. You should realize this I'm typing this on my laptop in my igloo right now. I'm using a frozen piece of whale blubber for a coffee table.

Fair enough.

Just for reference, how much fruits and vegetables are growing naturally outside your igloo right now?

A bit more info would help, what is the water temperature, what type drysuit have you got ?

Do you have a good pair of 5mm gloves or 3 fingered mitts (or maybe dry gloves) and do you have a tight fitting thick hood? Both of these can do a lot to keep core temp up, especially the latter.

What Weezle suit is it? Normal, extreme or Extreme+ ?

I dive an Extreme and fine down to about 6c water (never go below that temp in the sea here). Occasionally i either add a bit more weight to have more air in the suit or wear a thin cotton top under it.
In addition to that weezle now sell a "skin" to wear underneath the main undersuit for added warmth.

Also, dont dive shrink wrapped, the weezle doesnt like it.

You really shouldnt be getting too cold in a Weezle extreme, its a very good undersuit.

The only "cold" issue i tend to get is i sweat a lot in the suit and undersuit especially after hand launching our boat, bouncing to the dive site etc. My socks tend to get soaked with sweat which cools underwater resulting in cold feet. My solution was to wear LESS/thinner socks - this made my feet warmer as no cold sweat.

My sister gets cold in her dry suit. she has done a few things that work for her.

She has several of he hand warmer things and pockets in her under garmets just over her kidneys. she puts a handwarmer in the pockets prior to each dive. she also uses a couple to pre heat her dry suit (particularly the feet) prior to a dive.

Look at your hood, make sure that it fits well. Is it dry or wet, dry hoods are troublesome, but warmer. wear a skull cap (wet or dry) under the hood. dry gloves are warmer than wet ones.

Also eat a carbo rich meal prior to diving. stay warm between dives, get a robe or large coat to wear before and between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom