Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dearie me WetDane...what about us Scotswomen?!?! (actually, I'm a wimp and I wouldn't swop my drysuit for ANYTHING) Then again until about a month ago the water temp on the west coast of Scotland was 2 - 4 degrees (celcius). Now it's a positively tropical 7!!!

Hey, and JoelW, what precisely do you mean by "off"???

I'll be diving this weekend - I can't wait. As far as warming your wetsuit goes, the pitcher of warm water does work. I carry a couple of jugs in a cooler. That warms up the top half pretty well, and once you get into the water, immersion diuresis (the effect of cold water to put my kidneys in ovedrive) not only warms the suit (I know it's gross) but it also can lower your air consumption. when you goota go and you don't, it tends to rais your heart rate and breathing rate, so 'warming your suit' does have it's advantages.....

Folks,

The water is not the only thing that is "balmy"--or, maybe it's "barmy" that the Brits say...

When the thermometer goes below 80, I am reaching for a lot more wet suit and feeling a little annoyed at Mother Nature!

Good diving!

Joewr

You know - if it solves the problem, I call it a good solution... I personally wear wollies in my drysuit... but then I'm a wimp like haggis...

Btw - Haggis, as far as I know, Scotswomen count as much as Scotsmen - sorry for leaving you out in the cold - I hope your selfworth and image hads not been completely blasted to the moon...

Dane

The water is definitely warming up, and has consistently been above 40 degrees now. It will still probably be sometime in June before it hits 50 though.

Large_diver, I put on a shortie underneath my two piece 7mm wet suit last season (still wasn't warm enough). The captain told me that the water temp (in early may) was 50F. At the bottom (diving the Arundo wreck) my computer said 31F. I was glad the shortie restricted me from moving as this kept water from getting in the suit!! My fingers were way to numb to catch a lobster!

Easy to stay within the no deco limits on that dive!

50 sounds about right for the surface, but go down even 60 feet, and it's a lot closer to 40. Add to the fact that my 7 mil suit is a lot like a 3 mil suit at that depth, and you'll know why the length of my dives are still being determined by water temp rather than no deco limits.

Back
Top Bottom