Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing is if you don't dive where you live, you just do not get enough diving in. Also it makes those trips to Florida and the Islands such a treet.
M

I haven't been diving anywhere but locally. I wonder if I go dive someplace warm where the water gets above 60 degrees and visibility is actually far more than 20 feet, will it ruin local diving for me?

Hi Large_Diver,

I was going through some things and found a pair of neoprene socks I bought for hunting. I never used them for hunting because they made my feet sweat,and then freeze.:idea: I tried them on inside my booties(my booties slosh around like yours after a dive), They fit good.This just might be the ticket for when I need a little more insulation on my feet,and it's much cheaper than another pair of thicker booties I intend to try this out this weekend.We'll be doing our first freshwater (cold water)dives in a quarry near Buffalo.
If I remember right I got them at a Walmart.They seem to be like 2mm.

Just an Idea,

Tavi

Large Diver, do you ever dive around Salem, Ma or cape ann?

Tavi, I like the idea of the neoprene socks. I have a pair that I bought for snowmobiling (my wife is from the Buffalo area, and she got me started into snowmobiling)and after diving I have water sloshing back and forth in my booties. I think I'll pull out my neoprene socks and try them on my next dive.

Yes --

Since I started diving last spring, almost all of my dives have been up on Cape Ann -- both boat and shore diving. I've never been diving near Salem -- is there any good diving around there?

Tons of cool stuff near Salem. I keep my boat at a slip up the Danvers River, so Salem is more convenient (read less gasoline for the boat) sometimes. Going out of Salem Harbor jsut past Misery Island in House Island, a great place for lobster. Paddock rock and Boohoo ledge are very scenic. Kettle Cove also has good lobstering. There is also a large scallop bed over by Satan Rock, but I haven't dove it yet. If you ever dive by boat, I can give you the approximate lat/long of these places and a few others. Most of my dives are not deep (60 feet or less) and some are shallow (like 30 feet) but once I take my advance course at the end of the summer, I'll try some of the deeper dives, like the Poling, the Romance, the Nina T, etc.

Those sound like great dives. I don't have a boat -- all of the boat diving I've done has been with Cape Ann Divers on their charter boats. I definitely recommend getting your AOW cert -- the Chester P is a great dive as is the nearby Nina T. I hope to get out to both of them again this summer.

My AOW class also got me interested in night diving -- very fun. Foly Cove at night is awesome.

Diving in warm water has not ruined cold water diving for me. It is just different, there is lots of good diving in NJ.Aslong as I can get in the water, I am happy.

M

My current dive buddy is my Sister in Law (wife doesn't dive) and we're probably going to do AOW when she's ready. She did her OW at the end of last year, so this season has been her first unsupervised dives. We're taking it slow. She worked on getting her equalization down, and tehn the last dive we did, we worked on gaining better control of buoyancy and working on a controlled ascent. We probably go a lot slower than most people want to, but I'm not going to rush her. If you ever want to take a nice easy boat dive off my boat, maybe we can hook up sometime. My little brother did Folly cove at night, and has done the Poling a few times, and he got me excited about both. I'm looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom