Comments on two bp/w packages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My comment didn't say anything about brand . . . I was just reacting to the OP's decision to go with a 40 lb wing. If you do the math, a 40 lb wing is rarely necessary for single tank diving, no matter what single tank the diver is using. You either need 30+ pounds of negative stuff ON the rig (that you need to float at the surface) or you need to have more than 30 lbs of buoyancy that you are going to lose at depth. That requires a big person covered with a lot of thick neoprene, as I stated.

Them has done the math in post 17 and his solution is that a 40lb wing seems fair. The only drawback with a larger wing is potentially more drag in the water and maybe a bit gas trapping, the Oxycheqs are very streamline so I doubt the OP will feel much of a difference under the water going with a bigger wing. I suspect the same is true of the DSS wings. Also if I remember correctly some posters claim that the lift of a wing may be overstated in some cases because of constrainment by the tank. Personally I rather have a bit more lift than I need than not enough. Nothing is worse then getting hit in the face by every wave in choppy waters because of a too small wing.

What was their reasoning/how did they explain it?

As far as I know the BC/Wing needs to be able to offset the normal variations in buoyancy for your configuration, and a little more. So they are anticipating 35-40lbs of variability in your total buoyancy (disregarding the wing). I'm not questioning their estimate, I'm just curious how they got there (because I want to be able to make those estimates myself).

If you'd like an explanation, call me.

626-799-5074 M-F 9-5 california time.

Tobin

Malpaso,

It would be a good idea to take up Tobin's offer of an explanation.

A 30lb pound wing for reasons that TS&M has explained is usually good for most people.

When I got my singles wing I opted for a 40lb wing. I have used a 30lb wing and underwater for the diving I do I didn't notice any difference underwater. Where I did notice a difference was on the surface where I had a bit more lift in windy/choppy conditions. Having said that I'm usually very comfortable on the surface and the times it has made any difference I can count on one hand!

Call Tobin - he knows a thing or 2 about these matters - allegedly :)

Malpaso,

It would be a good idea to take up Tobin's offer of an explanation.

Just to reiterate and clarify, Tobin gave me a very detailed explanation of why I should get the LCD 40 SS wing, and other components. I understood the theory and accepted it based on his reputation. However, I could not re-explain it on a bet, any more than I could explain an internal combustion engine :wink:, I just know that all my vehicles work because of it. I hope as I get more into research and eventually purchase and use of a bp/w that it will become second nature to me as how a BC works.

Wish you well in your research - missed the part where you'd already spoken - sorry !

Them is also a noob whose attempts at math in this area should be distrusted or at least subject to heavy scrutiny before use.

Just for the record. :)

Your math is fine. The big variables is the crush on the wetsuit and the weight of tank. You don't feel much if any difference underwater when using a narrow wing like the Oxycheq or a DSS, so there is no big penalty for having a wing a little larger than necessary. The OP should look into a less buoyant form of exposure protection like a semidry suit and some polartec or ideally a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom