Computer to meet MY NEEDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeris computers are nice. A wrist mounted XR-2 (nitrox) is $300 at Scubatoys. The XR-1 (air only) is all of $150.

Wristwatch style computers may look cool but I prefer the numbers to be larger!

I download my dives from a Sensus Ultra Data logger. Easy to use and works great. https://secure.reefnet.ca/products/sensus/

An XR-2 and the Ultra would be within your $500 budget.

If by wristwatch style you mean wrist mounted (not small like a wrist watch) I frequently recommend the Mares M2 - inexpensive, nitrox capable, download option available, constant on backlight, gauge mode, rated to 500fsw, uses AAA batteries which are easy to change, and has a floodable battery compartment (which works as I can testify to). They can be found for just under $200 and you can easily add bungee to replace the wrist band (depth compensating, and easily adjustable.

Aloha, Tim

Uwatec.......any of them are great computers. The "puck" style is relatively less expensive. Aladin computers are great!!

I understand Your vagueness comment. I like to stay under $500 but under $400 would be even greater. As to my future, I like to get my Advaanced Water and find my niche in diving that thrills my sense of Adventure but what is that niche? I really do not know. It seems after even more research I have found Mares Nemo Air/Nitrox Computer watch, Aeris XR2 Air/Nitrox Computer watch and Mosquito.
Ah, now I see the question. If you want watch style cheap, but with features and downloader, I know some of the aeris ones are good. Keep in mind the downloaders are usually sold seperatley and for about $100. The main feature to look for is that it can do nitrox. Everything else is pretty similar among computers. Make sure you can read the screen and manipulate buttons wven with gloves on. You can also choose between the small watch type or the big watch type, but big watches will cost less. Chances are you will still get a new computer in the next 5 years once you dive a lot and get a better feel for what you want. But a cheap nitrox computer will get you started right away. The Aeris XR-2 Nx is $379 plus the downloader, and should meet all your needs.

i have the oceanic VT3 and its nice i still dont know every thing that it does yet but im working on it. display is a nice size. a little pricey but i got it for a steel could not pass it up..

The Suunto Mosquito is a nice little computer, Nitrox capable, downloadable, and relatively inexpensive. It also has the nice quality that you can wear it during your dive trip as your watch. The only problem I had with mine is that I have old eyes, and found the display hard to read, particularly in low light conditions. We still use them as backup computers on dive trips, although Peter is now using my Vytec, and I've upgraded to an Aladin Tec2G.

Suunto has discontinued the Mosquito and now offers the D4. I had the same old eye problem with the Mosquito; I find the D4 a little easier to read.

Thanks,
Matt

I'm on my third dive computer. My first wasnt a Nitrox computer so that didnt last long (and is then no good as a back up either as if you take it along on a nitrox dive you"ll end up bending it). So I upgraded to a Suunto Vyper. This did me for a couple of years, its user friendly and conservative (which some see as a bad thing but surely caution is good!) and I would recommend it happily. But then I took up more technical diving and use a VR3. Moral of the story is, I guess, either go cheap expecting to outgrow your computer or buy an upgradeable computer to start with (but this tends to be an expensive up frotn layout). Have you thought about buying a second hand computer to start with? I think its what I would do if i was you. There are plenty of perfectly good second hand computers floating around because other people upgrade.

Have to agree with Natalie. Any cheap computer will do fine. The question is how long you want to keep it for. When I first started looking for equipment, I overspent my budget buying an Atomic Z-2 reg set (That was a great decision!) so cheaped out on the computer And got an Aeris XR-1. Yes, it only reads air and not nitrox, but it does everything a new diver would need. Gives you time to replenish. Of course, if the idea of spending a couple of hundred and then throwing it away bothers you, that is a different story.

See if you can rent a computer for the trip. I have been researching for weeks and I find important information every day. Don't rush this decision. Rent a computer for the trip and make sure you put your money somewhere you won't get stuck with a computer you don't want. I purchased a Smart Com new for my wife. It was more complicated than my Aeris computer and a lot more expensive. She like mine much better. I sold it for half of what I paid shortly after. Smart Coms are great computers but not for her. I like my Aeris better as well and saved hundreds of dollars. We rented computers in FIJI and it is nice to try out other types of computers and is a cheep way to go.

I would look toward something with gas switching, not trimix, but switching between different 02 mixes, this will keep you interested all the way up to rec trimix.
I bought a nitrox capable 180nx and im happy with it, and i can download w/ the kit, but now I have to look toward gas switching for deco procedure classes... but I still have a couple years to go on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom