Coral Burns --> Right Away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine didn't go away until I went to the doctor (local). They prescribed a steroid cream. Gone within a week.

Did you learn to dive only in long jumpsuits? Shortie are for jet skiers.

DISK_1_JAMAICA_UW_208.jpg

Pugmaster evidently learned the hard way about "what to wear". I agree it's very nice during the summer to wear a shorty or even just a t-shirt. But even if the water is 84 degrees I wear a full suit. It might just be a skin or 2 mm but I learned very quickly to keep my arms and legs covered. You can always pull the collar to let water in to cool off if you feel too hot. There is absolutely nothing you can do but suffer if you touch fire coral with exposed skin.

If you look closely at that picture you will see fire coral (mustard brown) mixed in with that flower coral.

I wouldn't like to think about what would happen if you were cut by the flower coral (the later infection) and being stung by the fire coral (the instant burn).

Seek med. help.

That's why I always wear a fullsuit. If I do brush something or something brushes me, at least I have a layer of protection.

Incidentally, the worry is not just burning from coral. The ocean is basically one giant bowl of bacteria soup. Every time I have gone diving with an open cut, it has gotten infected. Every scratch or abrasion you avoid is one less potential infection.

DandyDon:
Did you learn to dive only in long jumpsuits? Shortie are for jet skiers.

Jet skiers here all wear surface drysuits :)

FWIW i never dive in anything other than a full suit.

What a wonderful world. I used to complain about the mosquitos here.
The ocean is "full of everything". I wouldn't change it for the world.
NO MORE SHORTIES for me, now if I could just figure out how to protect my face:D

Coming up to surface, there were some jelly fish and I can't describe what else, anyways, I got stung by something right on the kisser.

Makes me laugh, I was so worried about sharks, but it seems everything else has my number!!!

Next time your coming up, use your reg and purge it in a circular motion. It will dissipate the jellies in your way. Also, have some vinegar on hand for the stings.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Ya, Thanks. I read about that here on the forums. It was during the day and you couldn't even see the little buggars. Do you guys regularly perform this purge action and every ascent?

Back
Top Bottom