Couple of Aquacat questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you won't go on a liveaboard because you are expected to tip? :confused:
It even states on their website, as well as every other liveaboard website I have seen, that a 15% tip is expected. I believe the crew of all liveaboards work their buns off to make sure everyone has a good, safe time. I think they easily earn a 15% tip, especially because I know that they make very low pay for the most part and rely on those tips. From everything I have seen and read about the Aquacat, I would not hesitate to use them.

...not exactly...I know the drill and the generally accepted tip %......but there are numerous reports per Undercurrent mag that this particular liveaboard puts on the hard sell and are VERY pushy about tips.......which I would resent if that were to happen to me. Tipping is NOT an 'entitlement'...and I will be the judge of what I deem appropriate.
......also, if you are famiiliar with Europeans, per their cultural norms tipping is NOT 'standard operating procedure'...only us stupid gringos tip. :)

You're certainly entitled to feel the way you do. Thankfully, many of us appreciate the fact that many people in the service industry work for very little wages and are dependent on tips to make somewhat of a living. I have traveled on the Aquacat and in no way was pressured to tip. At the end of the journey they took each person independently, ran their tab, and asked if they would like to give a tip. I personally tipped very generously because I enjoyed the attention I got and personal service. I did not feel pressured into it. I may be a "stupid gringo," but if someone is willing to work for substandard pay, I am more than happy to leave a good tip if the service is good. That's why I go on vacation.

Thanks for all of the replies, the info. is appreciated. I'll give you the full scoop on tipping when I return. I've been in both situations where they inform you that tipping is standard and suggest a rate, and also where they pester you. I don't mind tipping either way, but i hope they don't pester.

You're certainly entitled to feel the way you do. Thankfully, many of us appreciate the fact that many people in the service industry work for very little wages and are dependent on tips to make somewhat of a living. I have traveled on the Aquacat and in no way was pressured to tip. At the end of the journey they took each person independently, ran their tab, and asked if they would like to give a tip. I personally tipped very generously because I enjoyed the attention I got and personal service. I did not feel pressured into it. I may be a "stupid gringo," but if someone is willing to work for substandard pay, I am more than happy to leave a good tip if the service is good. That's why I go on vacation.

...yes, I highly resent that some businesses employ highly deceptive marketing/pricing strategies to advertise a falsely 'low price'.....a legitimate business pays it's staff a realistic/living wage and funds that living wage from the official price of the product/service being promoted....and doesn't keep it's labor costs 'off the books'. Moreover, ALL my income is properly reported by my employer to the IRS, where I'm expected to pay my fair share of taxes......and not as cash tips 'off the books'......I have this little thing about everyone paying their fair share of taxes and not freeloading off the honest taxpayers!

Get a life, first they are in the Bahamas and a lot of them are not even US citizens! So climb down from your high horse and chill! It is a service industry Mr. Cheapo and that's how it works! So now you want the citizens of other countries working out of the USA to pay us taxes? Obama needs you as a Czar!

Hey I can even say no to Timeshare sales people! So if your worried "Just say no"!

I don't even know how to respond to this, so now every restaurant and dive shop in the world are a bunch of shady non-legitimate operations employing free-loaders?

Back to the topic at hand... Are the shore excursions offered in place of dives, or can you do all of the dives and still hit a couple of the excursions as well?

Back to the topic at hand... Are the shore excursions offered in place of dives, or can you do all of the dives and still hit a couple of the excursions as well?

The wife and I did the Aquacat in 2006. We loved it.

We lost one possible dive because a majority of the group wanted to go down to Stinson Cay and seeing the swimming pigs, as well as the grotto used in the James Bond film Thunderball. Pretty cool.

One excursion that was offered, to go feed the iguanas, was not in lieu of a dive, but other excursions were in lieu of a dive.

The drift dives were a lot of fun! Especially the exit!

Attachments

• pig20.jpg
    pig20.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 96
  • dr1.jpg
    dr1.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 83
BTW - As for the tipping, those guys worked the f*&^ing asses off. They were there when you got out of the water to take off your fins and spray you down with fresh water. If you needed anything they were on it. If you had a question, they would figure it out if they didn't know. The dive briefing were complete and solid.

One word of caution. A complaint amongst some of our group was that the DM's didn't lead the dives. They would give us a briefing, launch the Sea Biscuit and open the pool. If you area diver that likes to be led around, maybe rethink the Aquacat.

One word of caution. A complaint amongst some of our group was that the DM's didn't lead the dives. They would give us a briefing, launch the Sea Biscuit and open the pool. If you area diver that likes to be led around, maybe rethink the Aquacat.

If you like guided dives, I've found that the Explorer Ventures boats almost always put a DM in the water on all dives and you're welcome to buddy up/follow if you want. And the Aggressor boats generally do so and will always upon request.

Personally I prefer to go it alone or with a compatible buddy. Generally the DM led dives go faster than a photog like me would like.

PS> I have a SDI Solo cert, so don't rag on me about going it alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom