Cozumel Dive Shop and Accommodations- Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly do not know of any dive shop that charges more for the southernmost or northernmost dives. I have only dove with a few ops, none charged more but there are around 100 ops to choose from so I will be happy to be corrected. I would imagine that any ops that did charge would get press for that on SB. Most would want you to dive a few dives before so they could assess your skills before taking you to a more advanced site.
As others have said, the "beaten path" is superb. Like Marg, not sure what you mean by "fairly". Some feel $85 for a dive with a 120 is fair, others would never consider paying that much. Some think no frills for $55. and alum 80s is perfect, while others would not consider it worth their time or money. Of course there is lots of in between.
Whatever you decide to do, have a great time!

there are a couple of more challengung dives (devil´s throat and barracuda come to mind) because of depth and courrents. you can expect to pay a bit more for these ones, [/email]

I've probably dived with a good half dozen or more ops in Cozumel over the decade I started coming here. I have NEVER been charged more to dive any of those sites by ANY of the ops I have used....and that included trips to the mainland sites also. Advice to OP...DON'T expect to pay more for ANY site on the west side of the island. Some ops may charge extra but there are many, many ops out there that do not.

we are all different. i like to go cheap on hotels. the aqua safari inn is fine for me, no frills, $40 per nt. i like to go with the dive op i will get the best experience with and do not care about price because that is what i am there for. after trying about 8 i hit upon aldora and have been diving with them every year since.
they are the best of my sampling of 8 or so. however, that means there are 92 or so which i have no first hand knowledge of. i do notice that questions like yours usually brings up a relatively small number of shops on a consistent basis. from that, i assume the ones who come up frequently are probably the best. while you are at it, you might also want to look up the postings on fav restaurants.
most operators will take you on a pretty tame dive for your first dive with them. after that they will assign you to a boat of like divers. two of the questions you want to ask yourself imo are- do i want to be a on large boat which is usually less expensive and more comfortable or a fast 6 pack with a small group? the other important question in my mind is whether you want to pay more for larger tanks. i personally like small fast boats, long shore breaks, and big tanks since i am an airhog.

I saw other people say it, but I have really enjoyed Scuba Club Cozumel. The boat captains, crew, and DMs are really top notch. In a few days they know your "habits" and really make you feel welcome on their boats. Same goes for the people working in the dive shop too. Best of all the food service is really great, and they make feel as if you are dinning with family. The house reef is a lot of fun too, and boasts some great night dives. The house reef might not look like there is a lot, but you will be amazed at what you see. Some people complain about the hardness of the beds but after 4 dives a day, I had no problems falling asleep. Hope that helps...

Here is a small sample video I pieced together on my last trip... the night dive shots are from the house reef.

http://www.youtube.com/thirstct#p/a/u/0/v8xJaqipqAU

...do i want to be a on large boat which is usually less expensive and more comfortable or a fast 6 pack with a small group?
There is no correlation between cost and boat/group size. Some of the most economical dive ops on Cozumel run small fast boats.

There is one set of "off the beaten track" dives on Coz, and that is the East Side dives. Unless I am seriously misinformed, the only op that goes there is Aldora and then only on days with a paticular wind pattern, "El Norte". So, you have to be there on the right day, with the right op, and they will only take you if they are comfortable with you and your skills. No extra charge, IIRC.
You won't go wrong with any op reccomended on SB.

While many shops have small, fast boats, some have new twin 200+ HP motors and others have vintage motors that they bought used from the shops with the new motors. You may want to call or email some shops and ask about issues that are important to you. Many members are long time repeat visitors and have tried many shops, so do some homework in other posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom