Crowley's day in Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived Ras Mohammed and didn't see a single shark. As I understand it, it's unusual to see an OWT there, so indeed you have to wonder if the whole lot of them have turned up for some reason or other...

I absolutely love everything sharky, but I may well have bottled that one myself.

Ha ha..funny post Crowley ! :

:rofl3:

As for the sighted Sharks. If they saw 2-3 in one place then there are MANY more around. I said it earlier that I doubted the "one crazy shark" theory. And earlier evidence shows that they started arriving a while ago. And will surely stay a bit longer.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions suggesting there are a huge number of sharks. It might as well only be a squadron. Why do you think they "for surely will stay a bit longer"?

Last edited:
I base it only on the fact that a big OWT was filmed at a resort oct 20'th. Then maybe more of them has come since then. I am sure we do not know everything the gouverment knows about the numbers.
I dont know, but it is very very important that they find all possible facts. And inviting all these experts is definatly the right way to go. The next thing they need to do is to listen to them even if it does not match the commercal interests.
And lets pray that no divers are hurt by these sharks. That would be devastating.

Thanks guys - glad you enjoyed my day as much as I did! :D

Today I did Shark and Yolanda as my first dive and yes, had a momentary bout of nerves because I was doing the current check, but didn't see a thing. Actually it was beautiful - nice current, great vis, and very tranquil, because nobody else was there - it was stunning. Didn't see the sharks, but I did have a momentary tightening of the buttocks when I saw a heuuuuuge trevally drift in from the distance :D

All quiet on the shark front and you know what? The diving in the last few days has been like it was 20 years ago; I saw ten boats in total in Ras Mohamed today - almost unheard of!

This might be partly due to fear, but actually I think it's mostly to do with the rule that you need 50-plus dives to get into the water at the moment (see press releases in other posts); and our customer base at this time of year is mostly experienced repeat guests. It is off-season at the moment and trends vary at different dive centres due to variations in the nationalites of the customer base and when their respective holidays occur. A lot of centres clearly don't have the experienced divers visiting at the moment. Just the way it works here.

We are putting out 4 boats tomorrow and a large trip to Dahab. Centres who have the resources are offering a replacement deal with Dahab trips for those who are unable to dive locally. There are extra charges involved because of the distance and logistics and number of staff that have to get involved in moving 60 people and their tanks and equipment 80kms to the north, but for us at least we are charging at 50% of the usual Dahab extras which softens the blow somewhat to the guests.

The Oceanics are here year-round, you see them less in the cold months, but the red sea has warm deep water currents so they can continue to exist here, and when the water is warm, they seem to come closer to the reefs. we had a 1.5 metre longimanus hang around the gardens last year for a week up to christmas. Sightings were almost guaranteed.

So it's weird times for sure but the last few days that we've been allowed into the water have been great. It's eerily quiet without the snorkellers and the speedboats and the glass bottomed boats and the evil yellow submarine at Ras Katy but getting to dive Shark and Yolanda - probably one of the busiest reefs on the planet - in fact it must surely be number 1 - all to yourself? Just me, some good experienced divers and no boats? That's magic,

Folks I do this for a living but like many of my friends and colleagues, I do it because I'm a diver first. Days like this are rare and when I suggested to the guests that we should do the second dive here as well while we had the chance and one of them said "no, somewhere else, that was boring"... well... since we didn't see any sharks on the first dive, I wondered if he might like to have a go at "feeding the fish"! :D

I'm sorry - the world's number one (or close to) dive site in terms of volume of diver traffic per year, all to yourself, and it was "boring"...? Sheesh - why do you even bother getting in the water?

With the initial hysteria sort of sinking in - you know what, I think some of us are secretly enjoying this. :D

Off to Thistlegorm tomorrow - I will let you know how many limbs I have remaining upon my probable but - due to crazy sharks - not promise-able return.

Cheers

C.

With these updates, I'm looking forward to January.It is this time of year where I have booked my -at last!!!- trip to Red Sea...Keep on Crowley and don't get intimitated by people who say "boring"...

Thanks guys - glad you enjoyed my day as much as I did! :D

Today I did Shark and Yolanda as my first dive and yes, had a momentary bout of nerves because I was doing the current check, but didn't see a thing. Actually it was beautiful - nice current, great vis, and very tranquil, because nobody else was there - it was stunning. Didn't see the sharks, but I did have a momentary tightening of the buttocks when I saw a heuuuuuge trevally drift in from the distance :D

All quiet on the shark front and you know what? The diving in the last few days has been like it was 20 years ago; I saw ten boats in total in Ras Mohamed today - almost unheard of!

This might be partly due to fear, but actually I think it's mostly to do with the rule that you need 50-plus dives to get into the water at the moment (see press releases in other posts); and our customer base at this time of year is mostly experienced repeat guests. It is off-season at the moment and trends vary at different dive centres due to variations in the nationalites of the customer base and when their respective holidays occur. A lot of centres clearly don't have the experienced divers visiting at the moment. Just the way it works here.

We are putting out 4 boats tomorrow and a large trip to Dahab. Centres who have the resources are offering a replacement deal with Dahab trips for those who are unable to dive locally. There are extra charges involved because of the distance and logistics and number of staff that have to get involved in moving 60 people and their tanks and equipment 80kms to the north, but for us at least we are charging at 50% of the usual Dahab extras which softens the blow somewhat to the guests.

The Oceanics are here year-round, you see them less in the cold months, but the red sea has warm deep water currents so they can continue to exist here, and when the water is warm, they seem to come closer to the reefs. we had a 1.5 metre longimanus hang around the gardens last year for a week up to christmas. Sightings were almost guaranteed.

So it's weird times for sure but the last few days that we've been allowed into the water have been great. It's eerily quiet without the snorkellers and the speedboats and the glass bottomed boats and the evil yellow submarine at Ras Katy but getting to dive Shark and Yolanda - probably one of the busiest reefs on the planet - in fact it must surely be number 1 - all to yourself? Just me, some good experienced divers and no boats? That's magic,

Folks I do this for a living but like many of my friends and colleagues, I do it because I'm a diver first. Days like this are rare and when I suggested to the guests that we should do the second dive here as well while we had the chance and one of them said "no, somewhere else, that was boring"... well... since we didn't see any sharks on the first dive, I wondered if he might like to have a go at "feeding the fish"! :D

I'm sorry - the world's number one (or close to) dive site in terms of volume of diver traffic per year, all to yourself, and it was "boring"...? Sheesh - why do you even bother getting in the water?

With the initial hysteria sort of sinking in - you know what, I think some of us are secretly enjoying this. :D

Off to Thistlegorm tomorrow - I will let you know how many limbs I have remaining upon my probable but - due to crazy sharks - not promise-able return.

Cheers

C.

That happened to us at Molasses reef. 15+ eagle rays, 3-4 reef sharks,turtles,dolphins and 100 + blue water viz. We were getting ready to do a second dive on this reef and one of the divers starts complaining that he is not a Molasses type of guy. Time for a new sport buddy IMHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom