Cruise-Friendly Dive Operators in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not even any hailing required. There will be a line of cabs when you get off the cruise ship. Just tell them downtown and Calle 5. It is about 1/2 a block off the main strip. I've used them three times from cruise ships and I'm going back in April.

Concur with Deeplou. I am a frequent cruiser and almost always make my own reservations (even when I had 7 dives). MUCH better overall getting away from the cattle boats and 30 minutes bottom times. Cozumel, Aldora is the only guys to go with as far as I'm concerned. 7 trips with them over several years from 25 dives in my log to over 600 and never a mediocre trip...always excellent! 1 hour bottom times, 2 hour SI (order the fish tacos) and a great crew always. Enjoy!

We just got back from a cruise to Cozumel, we booked Aldora after a recommendation by our dive instructor and had a great time.

Since my January reply, I've been to Cozumel 3 times and Grand Cayman twice.
In Cayman used Epic Divers and Off the Wall Divers. Difference was that in January, Off the Wall couldn't work with the ship schedule so he recommended his friend who runs Epic. Both were excellent. Epic has a larger boat so few more people but still not cattle boat. Off the Wall, the most I have had on the boat was 5 , and that includes 3 crew.
Cozumel, Aldora has a fleet of around 7 or more boats. Most relatively small so never a crowd

Cozumel, Aldora is the only guys to go with as far as I'm concerned. 7 trips with them over several years from 25 dives in my log to over 600 and never a mediocre trip...always excellent! 1 hour bottom times, 2 hour SI (order the fish tacos) and a great crew always. Enjoy!

Have you ever had any issues getting back on time? I'm assuming with a 8:00am port call that you can do two dives quite easily and maybe talk them into a third dive and still be back by 3pm? Our group is going to have a total of 8 divers, more than half AOW+, so depending on the port we'll have at least 6 going out (the other two have to stay back to tend little ones)... that begs another question which is do you think if we are having six divers go out, would they swing back by to let us swap out a couple divers for an afternoon dive? or are afternoon dives pretty much out?

Have you ever had any issues getting back on time? I'm assuming with a 8:00am port call that you can do two dives quite easily and maybe talk them into a third dive and still be back by 3pm? Our group is going to have a total of 8 divers, more than half AOW+, so depending on the port we'll have at least 6 going out (the other two have to stay back to tend little ones)... that begs another question which is do you think if we are having six divers go out, would they swing back by to let us swap out a couple divers for an afternoon dive? or are afternoon dives pretty much out?

Along with, "doesn't hurt to ask"- consider that Aldora tends to do their surface intervals at a beach club. It might make more sense for the swapping divers to meet you at the beach club (hang out there during your first dive)- rather than the boat to make the long run back to the marina.

Grand Cayman- Cayman Marine Lab Dive Cayman with Cayman Marine Lab - Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman Diving, Cayman Islands

Did a private 3 tank charter with my family of five from a Carnival Cruise ship. Took a taxi from the port to his pier. We were sized for gear which they loaded and we were off. We stopped in the bay and snorkeled with the stingrays. We were the first boat there and were gone before the cruise ship operators made it out. Our first dive was a wall dive to 100' which was amazing. Next two dives had shallower profiles but just as beautiful. We were allowed to dive our air and computers which doesn't happen with a lot of dive operations. Tom is also a marine biologist so if you have any questions he is the man to ask. After the dives back to the dock were Tom already had a cab waiting. Back to catch the tender with plenty of time.

In Grand Cayman we have used Epic Divers. Freddie and Jax did an awesome job. We actually chartered the whole boat for our group. The price wasn't bad and it included a Jax as a dive master for my wife who hadn't been in the water since diagnosed with breast cancer. We will be using them again every time we land there

We got back a few weeks ago from a Carnival cruise to Grand Cayman. Don Fosters was the dive OP through the ship.

First dive was wall dive with a swim through. They asked to keep max depth to 100 ft. There was a nice swim through near the start that dropped from ~60-90 ft. My computer registered a max depth of 92.5 ft.

Second was a shallow reef dive to a max depth of ~40 ft.

Pricing was reasonable and in total we had 9 people on the boat. Good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom